• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Narrowed down to a Pionus, but which one?

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
Hi! So, I think I’d be best fit for a Pionus… I have a baby Blue Headed Pionus and a baby White Capped Pionus on reserve - which one would be less aggressive? I’ve read that WCP can be more territorial than the BHP, and I understand that all birds, no matter what, have their own personalities, but I’m wondering if there really is a difference… Also, does gender play a role in their behavior? Thank you so much for any information that you can provide!

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I believe that it is an individual bird difference rather than a species difference since they are in the same family, but I could be incorrect. There might be a member who has owned both that could tell you their personal experiences!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
If you want an arguably easier life go for a female. It’s not guaranteed, as has been said, each bird is an individual, but in my experience males are more likely to be hormonally aggressive. Yet you get some sweet males all year round. I have a male Blue-headed Pionus called Kobe. He’s a big character and I wouldn’t change him in the slightest… but I always have to think before approaching HIS cage/swing etc especially in breeding time.

A close friend had a wonderful female White-capped, however she had to keep her caged during hormonal times as she would desperately seek out small spaces to nest in. She used to lay quite a few eggs each year. That’s not to say it happens to all females just as not all males will have a problem with aggression. Another person who used to be on here had a pretty aggressive female White-capped - I believe she wrote about her under “The good, bad and ugly about Pionus” here, which is worth checking out.

I wrote an article about pet Pionus for Parrots Magazine which you might be interested in reading:

BirdyGirly

Meeting neighbors
If you want an arguably easier life go for a female. It’s not guaranteed, as has been said, each bird is an individual, but in my experience males are more likely to be hormonally aggressive. Yet you get some sweet males all year round. I have a male Blue-headed Pionus called Kobe. He’s a big character and I wouldn’t change him in the slightest… but I always have to think before approaching HIS cage/swing etc especially in breeding time.

A close friend had a wonderful female White-capped, however she had to keep her caged during hormonal times as she would desperately seek out small spaces to nest in. She used to lay quite a few eggs each year. That’s not to say it happens to all females just as not all males will have a problem with aggression. Another person who used to be on here had a pretty aggressive female White-capped - I believe she wrote about her under “The good, bad and ugly about Pionus” here, which is worth checking out.

I wrote an article about pet Pionus for Parrots Magazine which you might be interested in reading:
Wow! What an informative read! Thank you so much for writing it, and sharing it with me!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
My first Pionus Nerd I always assumed was male. He did the strut and all the other things like that and was very protective of his cage and claimed areas. He also trusted me completely and only I was allowed to reach in his cage or touch him mid strut. He was generally very shy but if he was scared or frightened he would bite, other then that no.
It really depends on the individual and what you have worked out with each other over the years. Lurch was a used Pionus, male, and very quick to bite as he had a hard time after his favorite old guy owner was put in a home. I got bit a lot as we very slowly worked out the rules and he slowly started to trust me and not try to bite me every time I tried to touch him. He was very fond of me after about 5 years and generally liked everyone in the family but would still bite when in a pissy mood.
Dobby is the most outgoing and gentle Male Maxi I've ever known and refuses to bite though I have been assured he knows how and has.
They all are their own little souls and unique personalities with similarities with each other and it even depends on how they were raised, parent raised are different then people raised as the first learns more about how to be a Pionus parrot and the other mostly sorta knows they are a bird but people are their original flock.
Fuzzies article she posted covers it really well too if you haven't followed the link.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
My favorite Pionus was/is the Maximilian followed by the Coral Billed :heart: I have owned the 6 species and they are all great!!

L0ki

Meeting neighbors
I’m also looking for a pionus. Any tips for finding a Breeder or good adopting site?

what I’m looking for in a feathered companion:
  • male
  • kind
  • introverted/willing to play
  • good with kids
  • ok with Dogs
  • quiet-ish
  • a singer/likes music

Attachments

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I see you have a pic of Kobe there :) - I would never trust him with kids. Kind? - well, he attacks JoeJoe the Orange-winged Amazon. He used to get on with Ollie the Orange-winged Amazon who persisted in trying to be friends with him for 9 years - they were at last good mates in the last year of Ollie's life. Kobe is definitely introverted/willing to play, quiet-ish and likes music. I don't think you are going to find an ideal parrot. Personally I think cockatiels are more likely to be gentle and safer with kids. Both the Orange-winged Amazons I have had the pleasure of living with have been really lovely, gentle parrots (I would describe Ollie as kind - he was the only one I would trust with Chico the blind and arthritic Amazon) - the only drawback is their loud voices.