• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nare blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erin1979

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Erin
I was feeding my babies this morning and noticed that one of my baby's nares seem to be blocked or covered. It doesn't look like there is anything in there, the area is the same color as the rest of his beak, the hole is not open. I don't know of any other way to explain it, it looks nonexistent.
I thought that maybe some formula got in there and I didn't notice. Used a warm, damp washcloth and wiped the area and it still looks the same.
It's going to bother me, any suggestions?
Otherwise acts fine, eats fine and doesn't seem to be bothered.

Tangle Elf

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
If you have a syringe and you're comfortable doing it, you can run saline into the other side and try to loosen it up that way. Do you know if it's a new occurrence? Is it possible it's a defect that you just noticed?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would not do a nasal flush on a baby if you don't know what your doing. I would try warm water compresses to see if that opens it up. If it doesn't, then a trip to the vet is in order to get a flush done by an expert.

Ginger

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Yeah, I don't want to try to put anything in there, I don't know what I'm doing.
I will try the compress.
I thought about it possibly being a defect too, so I went back and looked at a video of just last night that I made of that baby and it looks fine there.

Erin1979

Real Name
Erin
Already looking better after using a compress on it.
He was scared of it for awhile, kept trying to hide under my hand and it was a battle pulling him back out. Then he thought it was food and tried to eat it, and then tried to kill it once he figure out it wasn't food.
We'll keep working on it.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
The other thing you can do is get him in a hot steaming shower for 10-15 minutes at a time. You don't want to dehydrate him or make him overly hot, but a good steaming will also unclog the nare.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.