• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Nails falling off

Miss Rosie

Moving in
my little budgie's nail is too long and I want to cut it today, but it falls off naturally and bled a lot, the bleed stopped but I am still worried, now what should I do?
P.S there is still a little nail like thing in there after the actual nail fall off, I don't know what that is
it's the nail that is the far right one in the picture IMG_4771.jpg

Miss Rosie

Moving in
today I want to cut my Poly's nail but it falls off! there is still a little nail thing there left after the long nail falls off, but it's start bleeding. and now the bleeding stoped but I am still worried, what should I do now? will this affect the health of Poly? will the nail grow back?
thank you for help
here is the picture IMG_4772.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi,
Looks like you have clipped through the quik. Hold some cornstarch or flour or quikstop on to see if you can stop the bleeding.
I´m unsure what you mean by ¨nail falls off¨.

I have merged both threads to contain information and responses.

Miss Rosie

Moving in
thank you:)
the bleed stopped
well the old nail just fell off, I never clipped it or did anything(I want to but it just fell off) sorry for the grammar confusion

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Check around the cage, is there anything that your budgie could have caught the toenail in? Toenails, as a rule, do not just fall off. Of course your bird could have bitten it off too. Suggest you not do this yourself in the future. Fine someone who is used to doing this or a person in your vets office or you vet. I had a groomer do my former budgies. Please remove the dowel perches in this cage as they are not good for a birds feet. Instead use safe natural wood perches or rope perches.

Miss Rosie

Moving in
Check around the cage, is there anything that your budgie could have caught the toenail in? Toenails, as a rule, do not just fall off. Of course your bird could have bitten it off too. Suggest you not do this yourself in the future. Fine someone who is used to doing this or a person in your vets office or you vet. I had a groomer do my former budgies. Please remove the dowel perches in this cage as they are not good for a birds feet. Instead use safe natural wood perches or rope perches.
Thank you very much, that helps a lot:)

Miss Rosie

Moving in
Hi,
Looks like you have clipped through the quik. Hold some cornstarch or flour or quikstop on to see if you can stop the bleeding.
I´m unsure what you mean by ¨nail falls off¨.

I have merged both threads to contain information and responses.
Thank you

Miss Rosie

Moving in
By the way, what type of wood perch is good for budgies?
thank you again

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
By the way, what type of wood perch is good for budgies?
thank you again
Sorry to hear about your budgie's toenail. It's always good to make sure you have styptic powder or cornstarch on hand to stop any bleeding, as even a few drops of blood from a little budgie represents quite a lot of bleeding.

Perches made of natural (bird safe) wood can be good choices. Many pet stores sell natural perches now, but you can make your own. Here's a list of safe woods that was been posted as a resource on this forum. Dowels aren't great because your birds feet are always in the same position on them, where more natural branches encourage the birds to move their feet and toes in different ways.

Good luck and give an update on the toe if you can.

Miss Rosie

Moving in
Sorry to hear about your budgie's toenail. It's always good to make sure you have styptic powder or cornstarch on hand to stop any bleeding, as even a few drops of blood from a little budgie represents quite a lot of bleeding.

Perches made of natural (bird safe) wood can be good choices. Many pet stores sell natural perches now, but you can make your own. Here's a list of safe woods that was been posted as a resource on this forum. Dowels aren't great because your birds feet are always in the same position on them, where more natural branches encourage the birds to move their feet and toes in different ways.

Good luck and give an update on the toe if you can.
Thank you for telling me all those great information, I just clipped my Poly(my budgie) nails yesterday, it turns out great(his nail is so long I have to deal with it) and I get him some natural wood perches :)