• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail Polish And Parrots?

ChirplockHolmes

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Pat
Hello! I am planning on visiting my local budgie breeder on Sunday to meet their birds! But I am a person who often wears nail polish, and i am concerned about the possibility that the polish is toxic to birds. I just don't want to lose my new friend due to such a small, fixable thing like that! So should I remove it from my fingernails before going to the breeder? Should I even wear nail polish at all after getting my bird?
Please help! Any tips are appriciated!

EDIT: I paint my own nails, at home, if that helps. I have never in my life been to a nail salon, and I don't ever plan on going to one. DX

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The fumes from nail polish are very toxic to birds and not so good for humans.

Household Chemicals
Chemicals such as household cleaning products, bleach, perfume, glue, insecticides, oven cleaner, nail-polish remover, hair spray and smoke are toxic to parrots. These can be toxic if a parrot eats or inhales them.
Things That Are Toxic to Parrots - Pets

ChirplockHolmes

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Pat
Alright then! I thought so, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks! I will definently remove the nail polish from my hands and get rid of the ones I have before getting my budgie

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Alright then! I thought so, I just wanted to be sure. Thanks! I will definently remove the nail polish from my hands and get rid of the ones I have before getting my budgie
You can still have painted nails, just go outside to paint your nails and don't allow any bird to chew on them.

Just remember, any fumes are bad.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Dry nail polish is not dangerous to your bird unless it actually gets some off and eats it (which it more than likely will not do). The bigger problem you will find with nail polish is the changing colors and some colors just freak birds out. Anything new (color included) is something to be wary of and not trusted.

ChirplockHolmes

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Pat
Oh I thought you guys meant that I couldn't have nail polish at all. XD I would NEVER use anything that makes fumes around my bird, I know that. Thanks for clarifying!

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
Your fine. Do not let them pick at your nails. My wife is pretty serious about this and always has her nails done. Uses only nail products that are labeled toxic free only from her nail place and even the guy that does hers for years says that a lot of the toxic free products contain toluene and DBP which are pretty dangerous solvents until they out-gas completely. We have had birds for decades and her nails are always done and one of our babies, Sophie the Senegal LUVS nails. Never had an issue.

ChirplockHolmes

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Pat
Your fine. Do not let them pick at your nails. My wife is pretty serious about this and always has her nails done. Uses only nail products that are labeled toxic free only from her nail place and even the guy that does hers for years says that a lot of the toxic free products contain toluene and DBP which are pretty dangerous solvents until they out-gas completely. We have had birds for decades and her nails are always done and one of our babies, Sophie the Senegal LUVS nails. Never had an issue.
Okay thanks! I was just worried that I might endanger the birds if I wore it. I'm glad to know that it will be alright!