• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail length?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hi all:

When does my GCC need a nail trim? How do you know when the length is too long? 8504E5C1-21D5-4F27-B483-F19B35D7A057.jpeg

@Wardy Have you trimmed Mango’s nails yet? Any advice?
Thanks all!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all:

When does my GCC need a nail trim? How do you know when the length is too long? View attachment 389537

Thanks all!
No havent trimmed her nails not something i know anything about was gonna speak to the breeder i got her from when i pick my new bird up ( hopefully next weekend )

@webchirp will be able to advise

Last edited:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Yay!! Next weekend! I can’t wait to see photos and read about this very cool new development. Francois the canary has been singing his derrière off since we out him next to Pitchounette and especially loves to sing loudly during phone calls and tv viewing so the chances of my family adding another winged family member have diminished all that much more lol!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yay!! Next weekend! I can’t wait to see photos and read about this very cool new development. Francois the canary has been singing his derrière off since we out him next to Pitchounette and especially loves to sing loudly during phone calls and tv viewing so the chances of my family adding another winged family member have diminished all that much more lol!
Hopefully next weekend still need to buy a cage. :bash:
Will sort that over the weekend though.
I will tell you her name though.
KiKi

Pronounced Kee Kee

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hi all:

When does my GCC need a nail trim? How do you know when the length is too long? View attachment 389537

Thanks all!
Not sure about appropriate lengths (technically), but whenever it tends to scratch/hurt more when Kiwi is on me, or begins to get caught on things I take her to the vet to get them trimmed! It's July now, so I think her last nail day was late April, maybe early May! 2-3 months is usually how long I wait, and if they aren't long enough for a real trimming, they'll sometimes use the machine to dull them a bit in case of accidents :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If you stand them on a flat surface and the nails stop the ends of the toes touching the surface they're too long.

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
My rule of thumb is when they start to scratch you or irritate your skin (like if they're on your hand for a long time), you should trim them. I usually wait 2-4 months or so to trim them, but it depends if Oscar's been using his nail perch or not. Also would recommend to get them trimmed at an avian vet because they're trained in bird care. Plus, if your vet is anything like mine, my bird get nutri berries at the end of the nail session to make up for visiting the "doctors". :)