• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail issue

Skittles26

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joanna
Hello!
So I just got a new budgie yesterday and I have just noticed that the budgie has two toes (one on each claw) which the nail is growing upwards rather than downwards?

I’m not entirely sure whether clipping the nail down would help? I have put a cuttle fish in the cage to see if it helps?

Also, I am not sure what has happened to the budgie’s eye? It kind of looks like a scab?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Interesting, I've never seen something like that. It could just be a genetic anomaly.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Not sure about the eye but I have seen anomalies in talons before. I had a budgie that had no nails at all on 2 of her toes. Didn't bother her at all but I would bring yours to the vet to see if they even have a vein in them. If not the vet can remove them as they will snag in everything. The vet can check her eye out as well.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The one I see seems dead. Visit a avian vet for more help. :)

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Skittles26 Joanna, I sure don't know what is wrong with her little eye, but I hope you are able to find out. Also hope that someone with experience will know what to do about the nail curling up. She's a beautiful girl! Have you picked out a name yet? Not sure if you are new to birds entirely, but I always try to let people know that budgies hull their seeds, so the dish can look full, but it's empty hulls.

Skittles26

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Joanna
@Skittles26 Joanna, I sure don't know what is wrong with her little eye, but I hope you are able to find out. Also hope that someone with experience will know what to do about the nail curling up. She's a beautiful girl! Have you picked out a name yet? Not sure if you are new to birds entirely, but I always try to let people know that budgies hull their seeds, so the dish can look full, but it's empty hulls.
Thank you! Yeah we’ve had a Green Cheek Conure for about 2 years called skittles, so we are keeping the food theme and going with smartie for the budgie :laugh: I’ll see how she goes the next few days and if it’s bothering her I’ll get her to a vet:tup: