• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail Damage-Need Advice Soon

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Hey guys. I was hanging out with Fumbles and I noticed when she flew to me that her nail was bleeding really bad. I knew that whatever had happened had just happened to I grabbed my bird kwik stop and the bleeding stopped.
However it looks extremely painful and I need advice on how to help her at least feel better. I have no clue what in the world she did to rip part of her nail like this and I need to investigate more but for now her pain is my first priority. Normally I would bring her to vet but there is no longer an avian vet in my area so I need to make do with what I have. I appreciate any advice. D7A554FD-4731-4C49-B04A-FA6961A2D9B8.jpeg 13056AF9-4254-4873-B355-F5C019A2C428.jpeg

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d be searching for a vet for pain killer if it was my bird.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Same here try exotic vet instead of avian. Some exotic vets will work with you until you can find a avian vet.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
We don’t have any exotics vets and the normal vet who I go to who sees reptiles sometimes owns macaws but doesn’t feel comfortable working on them in practice. If you guys have a recommend pain killer I can research the dosage and concentration and see if the regular vets in my area can provide it. I wish I knew more on what to do but I am just a 1st year vet student (DVM)

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Are there any medications besides meloxicam that may be used commonly to relieve pain? The vets in my area are booked out so my best chance is to call early and see if they had any cancellations.

Btw: Please ignore grammatical and sentence errors in previously reply above, I hadn't realized how poor my typing looked until now.

Last edited:

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Northern AZ, Prescott area. I know that Arizona Exotic is in phoenix, but they are nearly 2 hours away and closed for the day. Worst case if I can't get medication from anyone up here, I can try there.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I've been a client of Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic in mesa for 25 years. Tramadol, Celebrex. Gabapentin and Meloxicam are all commonly used for pain in birds.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
meloxicam I gave before for pain and inflammation by an avian doc. it worked well if that helps.