• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail cutting?

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Hey! I’ve noticed my quakers nails need trimming and was wondering the best way to go about it? Should I take him to a vet/pet store to get them trimmed, or would one of those pedi-perches with the smooth top (so it doesn’t hurt his feet) work? I’ve never had to get nails cut before because natural perches usually keep my other birds nails down, but his nails are to the point where it’s probably going to get uncomfortable soon, and they are digging into my arm quite a bit. I just want to do what will be the least stressful for him because he gets scared kinda easy (he’s still young and doesn’t understand everything lol) and I don’t want to break our bond. So what do y’all think would be best?

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If you have never done it before, I would definitely recommend going to your avian vet to get them done. You could seriously injure him if you cut too much.
Besides that, the vet can show you how to do it properly so you can do it yourself the next time if you want to.
Personally I always take mine to the vets because I have bad nerves, so my hands are always shaking.
Vets usually have their nails done in about 10 minutes, so it also saves me alot of stress, and my birds don't stay mad at me for too long. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I recommend having a vet to do it.

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
If you have never done it before, I would definitely recommend going to your avian vet to get them done. You could seriously injure him if you cut too much.
Besides that, the vet can show you how to do it properly so you can do it yourself the next time if you want to.
Personally I always take mine to the vets because I have bad nerves, so my hands are always shaking.
Vets usually have their nails done in about 10 minutes, so it also saves me alot of stress, and my birds don't stay mad at me for too long. :)
Thank you! I’ll get them done as soon as I find a good vet. Do you know how much it should cost (for reference)?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Totally agree! Having a vet doing the first and show how is a great way to get started if you wish to do it on your own later.

Thank you! I’ll get them done as soon as I find a good vet. Do you know how much it should cost (for reference)?
That depends on the vet, So it's hard to say unfortunately. My vet includes doing my bird's nails in a physical exam. Or just the nails is about $75. Now I have a Umbrella Cockatoo, so I would assume budgie nails would be cheaper. A physical exam is roughly $100 -$120 which I think pretty average rate. I think the most crucial thing that is the price of living in your area will determine what kind of vet bill you'll be looking at.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I am in the UK so prices are different here. I had my macaw in two weeks ago to his new vet (long story) and it cost me £75 which included consultation fee (new vet) and nail clipping.
My old vet charged £120 which included sedation to clip his nails.
A budgie would be cosiderably cheaper.