• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail clipping?

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
While I have no idea how to tell when the nails need to be clipped, I'm sure Cody's do because it's been a pretty long time and I know linnies' nails grow "very quickly" and they do look like they're likely too long. Only question is, how do I do this? (He is, I think, very average size for a linnie and exceptionally comfortable with being held by me [no one else]). Can this be a one-person job, or do I need to get someone else involved? What do I use to clip them, are human-nail-clippers okay? What do I do if he does accidentally start bleeding? Is this something I shouldn't be doing on my own and should, instead, take him to the vet or somewhere for (that's who did it last time)? Thanks!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Take him to the vet or file them regular to avoid clipping.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can clip at home. It's easier to have someone else hold the bird if you clip. Corn starch can be used to stop the bleeding if you clip the quick. All that said, I take my bird to my vet. He knows what he's doing. His vet tech helps. It's quick, inexpensive and as my vet says- he gets to bet the bad guy and I get to give the snuggles. :) It works better that way for me.

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I clip my bird's nails, it's pretty simple. Get some human nail clippers and just cut off the very tip of the nail. If it starts bleeding, flour will stop the bleeding with a little bit of pressure.
I do all of my birds by myself, you just have to let the little birds stop squirming in your hand before you try to clip their nail, or you might accidentally chop a toe off! It gets easier to clip nails with practice.
The bird will hate you afterwards but you should be able to regain trust with some millet. ;)

Edit: my budgies are not tame so they freak out a lot when you have to hold them for nail clipping- your bird is tame so he might not squirm as much!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Let the vet trim the nails so you can observe all the "proper" techniques required for "your" bird. Watch and learn. Then if your comfortable you can start doing it yourself.

He may very well be comfortable with you holding him but you've never clipped his nails before. He might be OK with it but he might also flip out. In that case your going to need "all" those techniques you just learned from the vet.

Macgyver

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
We tried to clip nails with a human nail clipper. As the person wielding the clippers, I quickly found that it would be WAY too easy to accidentally snip off a toe that wasn't being worked on, because my bird was squirming and her feet were tiny and hard to separate the toes enough.

I purchased a special scissors that allows only one nail into the cutting space at one time, but soon after, my poor bird decided to groom her nails herself and we never had to deal with it again.