• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nail clipping? On one leg

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Ok so I get my girls nails clipped...
I wept today to get them clipped at a new place where I have had theeeee best service ever!!!!! Info on foods and pellets, how to handle her, I have a million questions and they are so professional....

well I went.. and they didn’t use clippers, they used the electric file thing.

Soon as she was in the cage she was licking her right foot. It’s been 3 hours and still she’s standing on one foot(her left) Puffed up and not happy when I come to her. It’s just now she’s come down from her cage and is in a slot of the house she usually goes to and likes... but is standing on one foot still

I’m so sad!!! Is she ok? I’ve never seen this before......

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They have possibly gone too short on one of the nails, maybe check to see if that’s the issue or if the whole leg is sore.

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
How's she doing now? I'd bring her back in if it's not better within a day or two

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
hi guys! Sorry for the late response! She’s doing just fine... took a day... but I felt so bad...

I think I’m just going to do it myself. But some people say it causes a bad relationship between her and I? Is this true?

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
I do my birds' nails myself. They aren't very tame so it sometimes takes me a while- I only do maybe 1 or 2 toes at a time while one is calmly sitting on my hand, and I don't restrain them. My budgie might hold still for all of his nails if an assistant holds a treat for him to nibble, but my tiel gets uncomfortable and flies away after each nail even with a bribe. He's also extremely dramatic about it and has to extensively preen, nibble, and examine his feet afterwards to make sure I didn't take the whole thing off with my little baby nail clippers :meh:
It's certainly possible to make it a bad and scary experience, which might damage the bird's trust in you. But if you know how to trim nails without quicking/drawing blood and always give them the option to leave if they're uncomfortable, it isn't automatically going to ruin your relationship.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, sounds like it was clipped a bit too short. Did it look shorter than the other nails? It hurts like how your nail would hurt when too short into the nail bed. It does that if it gets clipped into the quick of the nail. It can take a day or two if not real drastic. As far as if it is not a good idea for you to do it or not depends on the bird and how for giving. If you have someone to hold/restrain while you clip is much easier. Just be sure you know how much to take off without injury. If you are not sure you can learn as there are many resources for such. I always did my own small birds when I had them but the medium and large birds usually require being restrained or wrapped in a towel method. Some birds are well okay about you clipping their nails while just sitting there but some birds will bite you .... it might be a little or it might be a big chomp!!! Always be sure to have quick stop styptic powder for birds or other type. Its great to have on hand even should the bird break a blood feather or the tip of the beak to help it stop to bleed.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Different methods for different birds... I can clip a couple of nails while Abby is clinging to the side of the cage... then she gets a treat. Others have to towel to protect myself.
You need to have experience if you are going to restrain a bird in ANY WAY.... they need to breathe [don't squeeze their chest], and they can be injured if you don't hold correctly.

ALWAYS check for blood shortly after you clip... and ALWAYS have at the ready the styptic powder [or cornstarch or flour]. Best to just clip a little, then repeat couple days later, then to HAVE to take too much off..

And when you release them from your hold---- encourage them to flap their wings [whee... whee]... and love 'em up!

JazzyJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jas
Thanks for all the advice!

she does let me touch her feet when she’s on the cage so I may try that.
And less is always best to me so I’m def careful....

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
A lot of verbal encouragement too! Like when I talked about getting my Senegals screech greeting under control, by greeting him w/ a unique verbal tone... praise... AND a treat!