• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mystery clicking sound

CosmoKram

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggie
Hi! I have had my cockatiel Cosmo for a full year now, since he was 8 weeks old. Ever since i have had him whenever he is really scared or alarmed he makes a strange clicking sound. Its not often, just if he ever gets spooked, like once a week, when i manage to get him on my finger he clicks a few times. Ive always been curious about it but not alarmed. I would compare it to someone cracking their knuckles. He is completely healthy, pooping, eating fine. Today I decided to google it finely and it came up that sometimes a bird clicking means they have respiratory mites. So I watched a video of the sound and it sounded different. Should I be alarmed? Is this normal behaviour? also always been fine and healthy. Should I worry if he has always done this? Thank you for your time!

:tielmu:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Did you ever mention it to a vet, or has he ever been for a check up? Now might be a good time. Does he do it just after flying? That would be a possible indicator of a respiratory infection.

CosmoKram

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggie
Did you ever mention it to a vet, or has he ever been for a check up? Now might be a good time. Does he do it just after flying? That would be a possible indicator of a respiratory infection.
He does do it after flying but not every time. Just after a really big fly. He hasnt had his first check up yet, but when he does i will bring it up thanks.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is he possibly clicking his beak or is the sound coming from him breathing in and out?

CosmoKram

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Maggie
ahh im not quite sure. ill try and check next time he does it.