• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mystery Budgie Sounds

LostWings

Moving in
Hello everyone. I present to you a mystery. My two budgies, Milly and Benny, are constantly chirping at me, and it's not singing. It's more of like a contact call. The weird thing is that they do it all the time, even when I answer and then come and give them attention. They are also jumping all over the cage and looking at me (they're not scared because they're fluffed up and they look really happy), and Benny especially seems like he's upset or wants something because he contact calls even more than Milly (at least recently). Do they want attention or maybe millet, or is something wrong? I've looked all over the internet for stuff on budgie sounds but I haven't found much of anything. It seems like no one's decoded Birdese yet. Help please!

My Birbs :laugh::bounce4:
:budgie8: Milly the Silly Birb :budgie: Benny (his full name is Benedict Cumberbatch)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Being fluffed up could be a sign of illness I would call your avian vet and ask

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sounds like they want out of their cage to me. How big is their cage? Do they get out of cage time?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
A silent budgie is a sad or sick budgie.
They are normally making noises expect for when they eat or sleep.

From your description they are worried. Perhaps they want to be let out?

LostWings

Moving in
When they were doing this call thing I wasn't ready to let them out yet because I was still hand training them. Apparently you were right about them wanting to come out of the cage because one day, while I had my hand in the cage, Benny slithered (he really did!) through the nearly closed cage door. It was crazy. He flew around the dinning room and chose to land right near my dad's plate. My dad scooped him up and put him back in the cage. The little escape artist loves being out of the cage. I let them out often and they perch on my hand just fine now.

Milly's chirping/squawking at me right now because she really wants out time. Benny's been under the weather so I haven't let them out for a day or two so he can rest. It's pretty cute to see them by the door where I usually let them out chirping and looking at me. :D :roflmao: Despite them not being able to speak Humanese they are very good communicators. When they want attention or they miss me they contact call; when they want millet they chirp and maybe hop over to the millet container and peck at it; if I did what they wanted me to they say the bird equivalent of "Good Human!" (a happy chirp, beak grinding, and fluffing up) while looking sideways at me; if they're mad and they want me in the room right that minute (this happens with Milly mostly) I hear a "REET REET REET REET!!!" from my room and maybe some other annoyed noises.

Thanks guys!

Meet Birbs :birdance:

:budgie8: Milly the Silly Birb :budgie: Benny the Explorer (and Milly's boyfriend)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great update, it sounds like they have really settled in well! What did you mean by Benny being under the weather?