• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Yellow-crowned Amazon won't eat CHOP/GLOOP

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Pellets saved the life of my bird so I'm team pellets :) Many are 15% protein and there are at least a few less than that if that is a worry.

Regardless, sometimes they are very picky! I've been working on getting my Jardine's to eat fresh food for 3 years and it is still a battle. If he didn't eat pellets, he would be pretty malnourished as he only eats nuts, a bit of quinoa, sometimes apple and sweet potato. It's very hit or miss.

When you take pellets and fresh foods out of the equation, the leftover stuff a bird usually will eat are high in protein and fat. A high fat diet for an Amazon is risky business!

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
Well, she is not a friend. She is another parrot owner who replied to a post of mine on another parrot forum regarding a Senegal I owned at that time. My Amazon came to me being fed a safflower based seed mix . I switched to I-Tunes pellets by Higgins, and Zupreem natural pellets. My observation was that both of my parents were dunking and dropping the bulk of the pellets in their water bowls. So how many pellets were they really eating? I genuinely became concerned.
So I posted back on that parrot forum on my Amazon and pellets ---- and that is when this parrot owner once again and shared with me that pellets are not that good for Amazon parrots. Well like someone just said it is a total struggle to get my Amazon to eat Chop, Gloop or whatever else you want to call it.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I mean.. yeah, the fact that your amazon doesn't want to eat the chop is exactly why pellets are such a great thing!

Chop is awesome and they should be getting it, but with JUST chop the parrots might be picky and not want to eat it .. or they might pick out their favorite bits and leave others behind.. meaning they aren't ingesting all the correct vitamins and nutrients.

They can't do that with a pellet. If they eat a pellet they are eating a balanced mix of everything they need.
I'm so glad pellets exist because I would not be able to provide "perfect" nutrition on my own.

Edit: My amazon doesn't dunk, but my senegal does. Its still obvious that he is eating more than he is dissolving. He just likes them a little mushy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Parrot diet OPINIONS vary widely. For as many "long term experts" you know that are against pellets, you'll find just as many that are for them. Like anything else, the truth rarely lies at any extreme. It usually is found in the middle.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Specifically, why does this person believe that protein is bad for Amazons?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I think maybe the “expert” “friend” or whatever you want to call her.... simply got mixed up. I dont even own an Amazon but I know they tend toward too much FAT. Not protein.

But I’m wondering, if you have so much trust in this person, what was your original purpose in coming here and making this thread? Did you want help in figuring out how to get him to eat chop, or did you want more food suggestions? Cause honestly it kind of sounds trollish to me.

Also, I see you don’t have a lot of time here on AA so I will tell you, you’ve heard from the experts already. And I noticed @Hankmacaw backed it up with research links, as did others. If you want to learn, those are your experts.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
MC dunked his zupreem pellets but ate them. It was fun for him. Secret never dunked a pellet.

I gave both Amazons 2 kinds of pellets each day. They would take cycles eating one or the other and finally switched over to primarily eating roudybush.

Like others said, if you work you can't leave fresh veggies in the bowl all day.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
So is there a reason you posted here if you do not care to listen to and only want to argue with many of the members that have had parrots for just as many years as your “expert”?

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
I think maybe the “expert” “friend” or whatever you want to call her.... simply got mixed up. I dont even own an Amazon but I know they tend toward too much FAT. Not protein.

But I’m wondering, if you have so much trust in this person, what was your original purpose in coming here and making this thread? Did you want help in figuring out how to get him to eat chop, or did you want more food suggestions? Cause honestly it kind of sounds trollish to me.

Also, I see you don’t have a lot of time here on AA so I will tell you, you’ve heard from the experts already. And I noticed @Hankmacaw backed it up with research links, as did others. If you want to learn, those are your experts.
I came here and posted this thread because I have a dilemma. I have 2 parrots, they got Pellets and Fresh Food. Chop if you will. The Pellets were being dunked, soaked and dissolved in water, and the Chop was not being eaten. I checked the bag of my Pellets (I-Tunes) and the Protein content states Min. 15%. I have no idea what the percentage of Protein is in this food. My "friend" just indicated to me that Amazons should not have high Protein pellets. I have already messaged her for an explanation and supporting documentation regarding this issue.

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
You asked what other Amazon owners feed their Amazons, some of us said pellets and now you are saying all vet push pellets because they know nothing about parrot nutrition? I'm lost on the whole point of you starting this tread. If your happy feeding yours gloop go for it.
I need to clarify this ......it's actually MY Avian Vets that highly recommend Pellets. I have an upcoming appointment with my Avian Vet tomorrow for my Amazon ---- I will ask him about pellets again.

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
At this time, because I think I have caused enough problems with my post, I want to thank all of you sincerely for your input and recommendations, your knowledge and expertise regarding this subject. I definitely appreciate it. I will be sure to come here again, in confidence, knowing that there is a wonderful knowledgeable group of Parrot owners here that can help me. Thank you all again.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I came here and posted this thread because I have a dilemma. I have 2 parrots, they got Pellets and Fresh Food. Chop if you will. The Pellets were being dunked, soaked and dissolved in water, and the Chop was not being eaten. I checked the bag of my Pellets (I-Tunes) and the Protein content states Min. 15%. I have no idea what the percentage of Protein is in this food. My "friend" just indicated to me that Amazons should not have high Protein pellets. I have already messaged her for an explanation and supporting documentation regarding this issue.
Gotcha. OK, are these your first birds? It is common for them to dunk pellet food and it seems like there’s more in the water than in the bird. This is normal and doesn’t mean they aren’t eating it just means we get to waste a lot of food.

The chop, you can try different kinds of foods. Try leaving bigger chunks, smaller chunks, long narrow strips, etc. it’s trial and error.
Also, they will be suspicious at first so the best thing to do is offer the exact same chop daily for a few days. Like, 4 days of red pepper strips in the same bowl each day. That way they get used to seeing it and maybe try it.
You could sprinkle something they do eat over the chop.

If your food says min 15% that means at least 15, somewhere around 15. It’s possible that you could do a scientific breakdown and get 15.25 or. Whatever. But it’s not going to vary much from that.

If you see people here who are long time members telling you which pellets they have used, that’s your best bet.

If. You’re interested in avoiding pellets altogether, which some people are, look up Dr. Jason Crean. He advocates only feeding fresh Whole Foods. I have done this with my fairly large flock, up until illness has forced me to start feeding (some) pellets.

You can probably ask 10 vets and get 10 answers. We have to find our own way.... it’s up to you, and your bird. Best of luck navigating it all!

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
Gotcha. OK, are these your first birds? It is common for them to dunk pellet food and it seems like there’s more in the water than in the bird. This is normal and doesn’t mean they aren’t eating it just means we get to waste a lot of food.

The chop, you can try different kinds of foods. Try leaving bigger chunks, smaller chunks, long narrow strips, etc. it’s trial and error.
Also, they will be suspicious at first so the best thing to do is offer the exact same chop daily for a few days. Like, 4 days of red pepper strips in the same bowl each day. That way they get used to seeing it and maybe try it.
You could sprinkle something they do eat over the chop.

If your food says min 15% that means at least 15, somewhere around 15. It’s possible that you could do a scientific breakdown and get 15.25 or. Whatever. But it’s not going to vary much from that.

If you see people here who are long time members telling you which pellets they have used, that’s your best bet.

If. You’re interested in avoiding pellets altogether, which some people are, look up Dr. Jason Crean. He advocates only feeding fresh Whole Foods. I have done this with my fairly large flock, up until illness has forced me to start feeding (some) pellets.

You can probably ask 10 vets and get 10 answers. We have to find our own way.... it’s up to you, and your bird. Best of luck navigating it all!
Hi, thanks for your reply. I like what you had to say, it was really very informative and beneficial, so thank you again. Actually No, I have owned parrots since the 1980s. Back then I predominately had Conures, love birds and Cockatiels. It's only within the last 4 years that I moved up to larger species, and now own my Amazon and African Grey.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm always concerned about my birds and know I have more to learn, so I've been trying to find citations about protein and amazons specifically. I haven't found anything.

I did find one brief mention on a bird tricks answer page (and I have seen them discredited before so take them with a grain of salt) saying excessive protein can cause kidney issues. There are no sources, and it is about birds in general and very high amts of protein, nothing about amazons being specifically vulnerable.

I then looked up kidney issues in birds and found that vitamin a deficiency (which could be a voided with pellets) can be a cause, which amazons can be prone to, but nothing about protein. This has generally been a pretty good site with backed up info.

I also found this cool old thread here on this forum that is well researched and cited, saying tests have been done on up to 70% protein without any sign of kidney issues.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Elysian :iagree: Good post.

The most common issues in pet birds are deficiencies in Vit A, D, and calcium (followed by others). Obesity too, since many owners find it easiest to throw seed and nuts at them, One rarely hears of protein issues.

I believe that the kidney rumor about protein all comes from one very small study done on parrotlets. It’s been blown out of proportion.

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
Well as an RN, I can tell you that to much Protein can certainly effect the Kidneys. But we humans and parrots need Protein in our diets, so I'm not really going to worry about it, and will just continue to offer Pellets and fresh fruits and veggies to my two parrots. I can't force my parrots to eat pellets or fresh fruits and veggies. Hopefully they will eat both and they will be healthy and happy. Currently, my Amazon is a "little chunky" per his Avian Veterinarian.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Well as an RN, I can tell you that to much Protein can certainly effect the Kidneys. But we humans and parrots need Protein in our diets, so I'm not really going to worry about it, and will just continue to offer Pellets and fresh fruits and veggies to my two parrots. I can't force my parrots to eat pellets or fresh fruits and veggies. Hopefully they will eat both and they will be healthy and happy. Currently, my Amazon is a "little chunky" per his Avian Veterinarian.
Sounds good.

I have a chunky monkey also. Trying to get them to exercise is one idea (doesn’t work for mine). But overall I believe he’s in better shape than when I got him 7 years ago.

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
Sounds good.

I have a chunky monkey also. Trying to get them to exercise is one idea (doesn’t work for mine). But overall I believe he’s in better shape than when I got him 7 years ago.
I have had my 8-year old Amazon for almost 4-months. He is a total "Couch potato" and rarely moves off his perch in his cage. So, as you can see, I now have my 2nd dilemma to work on --- Getting him to be more Active. This is going to require a great deal of creativity (and the help of the wonderful members of AA).

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a dunker too. I offer water in a shallow, wide bowl so she can drop the pellets in there and get them out when they've been soaked enough for her tastes. I'm never going to be able to stop her dunking pellets, but I can at least help her to retrieve them.

AlexGrayBird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patrick
I have a dunker too. I offer water in a shallow, wide bowl so she can drop the pellets in there and get them out when they've been soaked enough for her tastes. I'm never going to be able to stop her dunking pellets, but I can at least help her to retrieve them.
You make a really good point here. Thanks. The bowl I use for my parrots water is actually a ceramic dog food bowl. I do think I am putting way to much water in the bowls. So, I can just put less water in the bowls, or like you said use a small shallow bowl. Thanks for your input!:)