• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My two Conures aren’t getting along…

Erinlee28

Moving in
Real Name
Erin
I’ve had these two cuties for about three years! They have been caged together for that long too….once in a blue moon they will fight and I’ll break it up, and then act like nothing happened….the other night Mango, the green one was acting skidish…rushing to get out of the cage etc….next morning same thing…started noticing Peaches, the pineapple one was rushing towards him and attempting to bite….I now have them in separate cages because Mango is too scared…not sure what’s going on seeing theyve been together for three years….I recently bought a breeding box, suggested by my sister because I have no clue what their sex is….long story short they started getting aggressive towards me with that in their cage….I threw it out last night seeing they haven’t done much with it except bite all the wood….hoping that would help too with their fighting….Mango is still too scared to be in the cage with Peaches and I just don’t know what to do….I feel horrible them not sleeping together anymore, and being alone….please someone give me suggestions so they will be content with each other again!!! I slowly try to put Mango back with Peaches but he/she will rush to a corner or attempt to get out…it’s been a full day Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would give them more time. Just like if one of your friends did something to really upset you, you don't get over it in a day. Let them have space from each other. It could also be hormones raging and influencing their actions. Don't try to put them in the same cage unless they choose to be in the same cage. You can let them have free time out together as long as they are both enjoying it. Otherwise, for everyone's happiness and safety, you may need to do separate out times for now.

Erinlee28

Moving in
Real Name
Erin
Yeah I kind of figured that but was also reading on other forums punishment is not the answer…and separating them and putting them in separate cages was some type of punishment….thank you so much for your advice….hopefully soon they will be content with each other again…

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't see this as punishment. Mango is scared right now, and Peaches is giving her a reason to be. You are ensuring your birds feel safe. They can't feel safe if they are being forced to defend their space, or if they are being attacked.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Separate cages perhaps side by side or a few feet apart. Shawna is spot on.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I most certainly agree with Mizzely, it is not punishment keeping them safe and as far as I am concerned they are actually showing you they want to be separated- one is charging the other and the other is trying to get away, it might be punishment separating them if they were all loving towards each other and there was no squabbling.

Erinlee28

Moving in
Real Name
Erin
I most certainly agree with Mizzely, it is not punishment keeping them safe and as far as I am concerned they are actually showing you they want to be separated- one is charging the other and the other is trying to get away, it might be punishment separating them if they were all loving towards each other and there was no squabbling.
My husband recently pressure washed the cage…wonder if that played a role in it…they are side by side now in separate cages…slowly tolerating each other again, supervised….going to give it another couple of days….thank you for the advice…

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I see this every day when my birds are out of there cages during the and my pineapple follows my yellowside into a cage, the yellowside cant get out of the cage quick enough. They have always slept in seperate cages for this reason the cages are close together and covered together so both birds see each other, they both sleep next to each other every night and my yellowside feels safe.
If you havent removed the nest box this can trigger hormonal behaviour and increased cage aggression so i would remove it, my pineapple was hormonal for about 10 weeks earlier in the year and it was a nightmare for my yellowside however out of cage she can get away easily if needed.

Erinlee28

Moving in
Real Name
Erin
I see this every day when my birds are out of there cages during the and my pineapple follows my yellowside into a cage, the yellowside cant get out of the cage quick enough. They have always slept in seperate cages for this reason the cages are close together and covered together so both birds see each other, they both sleep next to each other every night and my yellowside feels safe.
If you havent removed the nest box this can trigger hormonal behaviour and increased cage aggression so i would remove it, my pineapple was hormonal for about 10 weeks earlier in the year and it was a nightmare for my yellowside however out of cage she can get away easily if needed.
I did remove it and threw it out! I noticed they changed when I got it….they are still separated but next to each other….did really good last night together supervised…thanks for the advice…