• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiels sneeze alot, and I'm scared it's not normal

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
my two tiels have been sneezing alot ever since I got them about a month ago. I keep their cage clean (also please please look at my first post about cleaning their cage, it's really important.) and I might just be overly paranoid, but I wanna be sure !

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My bird tends to sneeze a lot more when I do not have the air purifier on as the particles in the air that I can not see irritate him. The air may not be clear enough for them if they are not sick and just sneezing. Birds have much more delicate respiratory systems than we do and things in the air really affect them badly and can even build up in their systems and cause further health issues for them. Do you have and use an air purifier? If not I would suggest you get one for them and for you as you will be breathing in their dander.

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
Thank you, hopefully it works because I wouldn't want them to get clogged up or anything. I really worry about them !

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How much is a lot? My tiels sneeze a few times in a day, usually after preening, which is perfectly normal. If yours are sneezing quite a bit more than that you should take them for a check up, especially if their sneezes are wet. Actually, since you just got them, you should take them in for a check up anyway because it’s always recommend that you take any new bird in for a well visit.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quaker always got sneezy when it was too dry I'm the house . We ran a humidifier for him and it helped a lot. Is there any discharge with the sneezes?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Dry sneezes are usually okay. It happens after preening or maybe if your house is dry. Wet sneezes can be a cause of concern and worth a vet check.

airriana c

Moving in
Real Name
airriana chitwood
They are just dry sneezes and there isn't anything coming out of their noses thankfully, I put an air purifier next to their cage so hopefully it helps

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They are just dry sneezes and there isn't anything coming out of their noses thankfully, I put an air purifier next to their cage so hopefully it helps
Adding a humidifier if you don’t already have one would be a good idea too, especially if it’s dry where you live. Gentle, frequent misting will help too, if they aren’t afraid of it.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The best thing I have done for my birds in the winter dry air is this wonderful little humidifier. It is so easily cleaned and used its just amazing. My old one was a real clunker and I could hardly carry it. Check it out and it will help your birds. I have one for them and after I got it liked it so much I have one in my bedroom also.

Amazon.com: Pure Enrichment MistAire Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier - Premium Humidifying Unit with 1.5L Water Tank, Whisper-Quiet Operation, Automatic Shut-Off and Night Light Function - Lasts Up to 16 Hours: Home & Kitchen