• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiels. Questions, Pictures and more.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Pat, have you tried making them a foraging tray yet? Those are really easy, can be reusable and you can change it up as often as you want.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
How would I go about that?
Various ways. Cut a cardboard box into a tray, use a low plastic tupperware container, my budgies have a plastic dog slow feeder bowl. You put some seed in it and add a thin layer (for beginner foragers, you can add more when they know how to properly use it) of some "foraging material" which can be anything from crinkle paper to bird safe bedding. Extra stuff can be added like foot toys or toy parts etc.

Patioquail

Walking the driveway
Various ways. Cut a cardboard box into a tray, use a low plastic tupperware container, my budgies have a plastic dog slow feeder bowl. You put some seed in it and add a thin layer (for beginner foragers, you can add more when they know how to properly use it) of some "foraging material" which can be anything from crinkle paper to bird safe bedding. Extra stuff can be added like foot toys or toy parts etc.
Ill try it!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Here are some examples :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have looked at mizzelys store before but theres a lot more I haven't seen I think I'll order a good batch of toys from mizzely when I have some extra money
I think that a good option for variety could be a bongo box. You can set the price to suit your budget

For foraging trays, make sure it is in something they can't lift or they may tip the contents making even more mess :rolleyes:

Patioquail

Walking the driveway
So my bird is broken I followed advice from AB to keep them from laying eggs like rearranging the cage and she still decided to lay an egg stitch is being very protective of it and not allowing me to go near it I was able to lure him away and grab it what’s my next course of action?

Patioquail

Walking the driveway
Also I have a good couple of months worth of chop now I just made a nice large batch

peas, carrots, flax seeds, chia seeds, cucumbers (only a small amount due to them being a water vegetable I did about a third of a small cucumber in this giant batch), radish’s, bell peppers, a small amount of walnuts, egg, some eggshell (a small amount for calcium with Steve deciding to lay eggs), blackberries, raspberries (small amount as I got them mostly for treats to give some to help with bonding. I used 5 of each in this large batch) and that’s it.

I put a small amount out for them to try stitch demolished half of what I put out in 5 minutes I’ll post a picture in the what are your birds eating thread tomorrow if I can remember.

with advice from AB I’m going to boil their egg then give it back to them to prevent excessive egg laying.

also stainless steel bowls
IMG_7009.jpeg

Patioquail

Walking the driveway
Also I have a good couple of months worth of chop now I just made a nice large batch

peas, carrots, flax seeds, chia seeds, cucumbers (only a small amount due to them being a water vegetable I did about a third of a small cucumber in this giant batch), radish’s, bell peppers, a small amount of walnuts, egg, some eggshell (a small amount for calcium with Steve deciding to lay eggs), blackberries, raspberries (small amount as I got them mostly for treats to give some to help with bonding. I used 5 of each in this large batch) and that’s it.

I put a small amount out for them to try stitch demolished half of what I put out in 5 minutes I’ll post a picture in the what are your birds eating thread tomorrow if I can remember.

with advice from AB I’m going to boil their egg then give it back to them to prevent excessive egg laying.

also stainless steel bowls
View attachment 447888
I also forgot to mention I give some seeds on the side as well not a ton like they used too and most of the seeds I give them I put around the cage for them to forage to find.

Patioquail

Walking the driveway

Food has been fed.

Patioquail

Walking the driveway
Steve just laid her second egg no problems so far so good when I get a chance later tonight I’ll try to sneak past stitch to grab it and boil it. He’s been really feisty because of these eggs I was getting somewhere with our bind them Steve started laying and now whatever I do he’s trying to eat me he would be a good father but going anywhere near Steve it’ll the eggs he freaks out the most.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I have looked at mizzelys store before but theres a lot more I haven't seen I think I'll order a good batch of toys from mizzely when I have some extra money
You won’t be disappointed they are amazing :heart:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for loss of your dad your new babies are gorgeous
I hope you manage to get egg laying under control

Patioquail

Walking the driveway
So sorry for loss of your dad your new babies are gorgeous
I hope you manage to get egg laying under control
Thank you.

This isn't her first time laying She's laid 2 times before but this time I tried to keep her from laying when I started noticing mating behavior between the two she usually lays about 5 eggs but this time both of them are being very feisty for the eggs I would let them hatch if It wasn't irresponsible to do so.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Thank you.

This isn't her first time laying She's laid 2 times before but this time I tried to keep her from laying when I started noticing mating behavior between the two she usually lays about 5 eggs but this time both of them are being very feisty for the eggs I would let them hatch if It wasn't irresponsible to do so.
They sound like they are definitely defending there little eggs

Patioquail

Walking the driveway
I havent posted here in a while got busy, The tiels are doing good still eating the veggies I plan to get a bunch of toys next week. I was dumb and covered some of the cage with a curtain to give them shade as its been super hot the last couple of weeks and of course that cause her to start laying again I just realized this egg as I've been super busy with packing and cleaning around the house plus other stuff and I candled it and it looks like it might be developing I'll be keeping a close eye on steve since this is now 5 eggs since she layed 4 then took a break and layed this one with more possibly on the way.

DaBomelet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Noah
To me, it looks like a pearl but from the shadows in the picture I can't tell if it's a cinnamon or a gray pearl.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I havent posted here in a while got busy, The tiels are doing good still eating the veggies I plan to get a bunch of toys next week. I was dumb and covered some of the cage with a curtain to give them shade as its been super hot the last couple of weeks and of course that cause her to start laying again I just realized this egg as I've been super busy with packing and cleaning around the house plus other stuff and I candled it and it looks like it might be developing I'll be keeping a close eye on steve since this is now 5 eggs since she layed 4 then took a break and layed this one with more possibly on the way.
Is she still laying? You still got an baby on the way? :o: