• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my tiel REFUSES to get 12 hours of sleep

jakedowl10

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Jake
So i rescued a tiel a while a back and he’s come with quite a few issues including plucking which he’s now stopped, but anyway the point of this post is that he absolutely flat out will not get 12 hours of sleep, i can make the room pitch black and silent and have him covered, or i’ve tried uncovered and after about 9-10 hours no matter how dark it is even if he can’t see a thing, he wakes up and starts singing and screaming, he wakes up the whole house including me and my other birds who then don’t get their sleep. Any tips?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
When is he waking up? Middle of the night or early morning?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s okay if he doesn’t get a full 12 hours, but it seems odd to me that even when it’s quiet and dark he will sing and scream. So because he is singing too, it’s not a night fright or distress calls, correct? What time does he go to bed and wake up? How long have you had him?

jakedowl10

Real Name
Jake
It’s okay if he doesn’t get a full 12 hours, but it seems odd to me that even when it’s quiet and dark he will sing and scream. So because he is singing too, it’s not a night fright or distress calls, correct? What time does he go to bed and wake up? How long have you had him?
Yes exactly! He often wakes up and just goes into full song, different tunes and noises. He goes to bed at 8pm and he gets up himself between 5 and 6am. I've had him about two months and this has been happening only the last month

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried white noise instead of silence?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've not had this problem so let other members correct me if I'm wrong, but could you try keeping him awake longer? Maybe go to bed at 9/10? Also, is there food in his cage overnight?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A pitch black room at night is not good for this species because they tend to have night frights. Birds will nap throughout the day so dont worry about the hours of sleep.

jakedowl10

Real Name
Jake
I've not had this problem so let other members correct me if I'm wrong, but could you try keeping him awake longer? Maybe go to bed at 9/10? Also, is there food in his cage overnight?
I have tried that and oddly he still gets up at the same times it’s like he just has a really strong body clock, his previous owner before the person i rescued him from kept him in an aviary where he followed the sun so that could be it. He does have a little amount of food to snack on during the night but not a whole bowl full because i like to do target training in the mornings just before breakfast