• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiel looked like she was choking !

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Today my cockatiel was crop adjusting, then suddenly she kept her beak open and closed one of her eyes like she was in a trance... I got worried and was like alsing are you ok ? are u ok ? and she started crop adjusting again and wheezing as she was adjusting. So i got really worried and was coaxing her to regurgitate and asked my bf to go grab a syringe while i got some oil to place a drop of olive oil in her beak to see if it would help but she suddenly started crop adjusting and turned back to normal . A few seconds later she was playing again. Oh man what a scare.

Is this what usually happens when a bird is choking ? Is there anything else you can do besides syringe a drop of olive oil in their beak if they choke?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Never heard of olive oil in the beak but they do yawn & crop adjust & sometimes it looks bit exaggerated.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah its just she was making small wheezing sounds and her eyes starting closing i got so worried she was having trouble breathing. I heard about the syringe and olive oil from a popular youtube channel " Flock talk" Where the lady had to do this because her pet pacific parrotlet was choking . She mentions it in a few videos, she said her parrotlet was closing its eyes, trying to regurgitate, and it's tail was bobbing. I actually saw her last video and turns out that little parrotlet she loved dearly passed away , only 4 years of age, egg binding (the egg was 3x normal size). Sad stuff. This parrotlet was so smart, she was able to train it to do figure 8 flying laps. She has a lot of training videos starring that bird too.

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
Hope your bird is OK. Occasionally one or the other of mine have opened their beak wide and kind of puffed the chest (I guess sort of a cough) or like a sneeze, then was fine. When they yawn, it is just a yawn. I have only seen them regurgitate when feeding the babies and the parents sometimes feed each other, but not wheezing or any of that other stuff. One of mine years ago died suddenly, he was fine, suddenly not acting right, I put him by me, he was kind of coughing and a fluid came out of his nostrils and his mouth, and he died. All that happened within maybe 15 minutes.The vet said it probably was congestive heart failure. I don't want to scare you. I would say if he does it again probably good idea to take him to a vet.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
It definitely never hurts to go to the vet when in doubt.

Sam123

Meeting neighbors
Today my cockatiel was crop adjusting, then suddenly she kept her beak open and closed one of her eyes like she was in a trance... I got worried and was like alsing are you ok ? are u ok ? and she started crop adjusting again and wheezing as she was adjusting. So i got really worried and was coaxing her to regurgitate and asked my bf to go grab a syringe while i got some oil to place a drop of olive oil in her beak to see if it would help but she suddenly started crop adjusting and turned back to normal . A few seconds later she was playing again. Oh man what a scare.

Is this what usually happens when a bird is choking ? Is there anything else you can do besides syringe a drop of olive oil in their beak if they choke?
Hi, I know I'm replying really late... 3 years later actually. But can you pls say some details about your bird. The exact same thing happened with my bird today and I'm really worried. He's absolutely normal now. Flying and playing. So how was your bird later? Is it something to worry about?

Sam123

Meeting neighbors

Can you pls reply

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you pls reply
You will have to be a little more patient for a reply. Tara hasn´t logged in for about a month, so I´m not sure when she will see your question. I´m sure she will respond when she´s online next time.
In the meantime, you may want to start your own thread for a response from someone else.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
She never had any strange symptoms ever since. She is a strong and healthy cockatiel. Sorry for the late response:)

Sam123

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for responding. I was really worried n hearing it from you makes me feel better. My tiel is completely fine and active now. <3

Sam123

Meeting neighbors
You will have to be a little more patient for a reply. Tara hasn´t logged in for about a month, so I´m not sure when she will see your question. I´m sure she will respond when she´s online next time.
In the meantime, you may want to start your own thread for a response from someone else.
Thanks <3

snir02

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
snir

Hey Tara!
Sorry to write in this post, but I'm writing here after I saw your video of your cockatiel coughing video from 2016, after drinking water.
I wanted to know if you had an answer to that or why it was happening.
We just lost our dear cockatiel after suffering from coughing for a month and being treated by 2 vets and were supposed to get to some expert one day before she passed away...
we just can't get the closure we need and try to find some answers and make peace with it...
thanks for your reply!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This post is old and you may not hear from the person that wrote it.

shazam

Hey Tara!
Sorry to write in this post, but I'm writing here after I saw your video of your cockatiel coughing video from 2016, after drinking water.
We just lost our dear cockatiel after suffering from coughing for a month and being treated by 2 vets and were supposed to get to some expert one day before she passed away...
we just can't get the closure we need and try to find some answers and make peace with it...
thanks for your reply!
Hi, my cockatiel of 30+ years is doing the same as Pablo from Tara81's video - chockes after drinking water and its been going on for several weeks. Happens each time he drinks water and sometimes with food. Not sure what to do. If anyone has experienced something similar and have talked to a vet, please advise. Ive gone through 3 vets and they all say my baby is a little too old to put him through any stressful tests. Very stressful to watch :(

shazam

Yeah its just she was making small wheezing sounds and her eyes starting closing i got so worried she was having trouble breathing. I heard about the syringe and olive oil from a popular youtube channel " Flock talk" Where the lady had to do this because her pet pacific parrotlet was choking . She mentions it in a few videos, she said her parrotlet was closing its eyes, trying to regurgitate, and it's tail was bobbing. I actually saw her last video and turns out that little parrotlet she loved dearly passed away , only 4 years of age, egg binding (the egg was 3x normal size). Sad stuff. This parrotlet was so smart, she was able to train it to do figure 8 flying laps. She has a lot of training videos starring that bird too.
Hi, my cockatiel of 30+ years is doing the same as Pablo from Tara81's video - chockes after drinking water and its been going on for several weeks. Happens each time he drinks water and sometimes with food. Not sure what to do. If anyone has experienced something similar and have talked to a vet, please advise. Ive gone through 3 vets and they all say my baby is a little too old to put him through any stressful tests. Very stressful to watch :(

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
@shazam - if you start your own thread with a descriptive title there's a much higher chance of members being able to off advice! Hope your buddy is ok.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Hey Tara!
thanks for your reply!
Pablo would dip his beak too far into the water dish and the nostrils would go underwater, hence the coughing. He didn't have a respiratory issue, he did that for 9 months off and on. I tried giving him less water to dunk into to try to help him out. The vet said that sometimes they just aren't the brightest with certain things, and he had a rough past as well. He had a permanent injured wing and couldn't fly when I rescued him.