• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiel is sleeping and eating allot, is she ill?

Shack

Moving in
Real Name
Dragan Nikolovski
Her age is between 3 and 5 months, and she seems to always be either eating or sleeping. It looks to me like she's eating a fair bit over the recommended daily food amount for tiels, and whenever she's not eating she's asleep or foraging for more food. To me she looks like she might be a bit overweight, but I'm not really sure. Her feathers are semi-puffed or puffed up most of the time. Her droppings look fine to me. The sleeping thing I just assumed to be because she couldn't get enough sleep in the evening because of people talking in the room or something, but how much she's eating is starting to really concern me. Is she ill? I don't think there are any avian vets near me, so if she's ill can someone recommend me some sort of vitamins or medicine I can try giving her?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Baby tiels tend to take naps during the day, and when they are not napping they tend to preen and eat. There should be some other movements and playing throughout the day, so it’s impossible for us to tell if your bird is sick. If your bird is eating a good diet, that will help. There are no vitamins or anything your bird can take if she is sick, unless given by a vet. What is your birds diet like? You can weigh your bird every day first thing in the morning to monitor her weight. Some things like ACV, DMG, and keeping a bird less stressed and warm can be done as an aid to real medicine, but will not cure a sick bird.

Shack

Moving in
Real Name
Dragan Nikolovski
Baby tiels tend to take naps during the day, and when they are not napping they tend to preen and eat. There should be some other movements and playing throughout the day, so it’s impossible for us to tell if your bird is sick. If your bird is eating a good diet, that will help. There are no vitamins or anything your bird can take if she is sick, unless given by a vet. What is your birds diet like? You can weigh your bird every day first thing in the morning to monitor her weight. Some things like ACV, DMG, and keeping a bird less stressed and warm can be done as an aid to real medicine, but will not cure a sick bird.
Currently her diet is a seed mix because that's what she's always eaten at the pet store so it might take me a bit of time to get her used to eating veggies, maybe not that long for pellets though I just need to find some because not a lot of pet stores here have bird pellets and most online bird supply stores that I've seen don't ship here.