• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tarantula is MIA

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
So my little orange baboon tarantula escaped on Sarurday night. After a lot of discussion with people who have experienced the same thing I've determined she shouldn't be a threat to the cockatiel or the rabbit (they are on the main floor, she got out on the top floor) as she likely will not stray too far from where I last saw her.

I've set out some lures in the form of water dishes and tubs of superworms and I got around at night with the lights off and a flashlight to try and spot her. I really, really hope I find her soon.

20191030_233038.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh no I'm sorry! I hope you find her soon! Someone in my leopard gecko group just found their leopard gecko who has been MIA for over a year!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry to hear your tarantula is missing. I hope you find her soon! :hug9:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Oh dear, I hope you find her. One of my millipedes went MIA once, I never did find him. But I think tarantulas are a lot tougher than millies. :sadhug2: :sadhug2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you find her (and that is one of my nightmares- LOL. I'm so not a spider person. So a tarantula loose in the house..... :scrstf:)

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
The pet store that we frequent has some baby tarantulas that my 3 year old loves. My husband likes them too, maybe that'll be their thing one day. As long as they prevent escapes!!! I hope you find yours soon!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I hope you find her. That is so stressful because she is so easy to crush with an object or she could fall. I haven't had a tarantula of my own, but I absolutely adore spiders. I have a friend who had two rosehairs and they were 14 and 16 years old. Fingers crossed she comes to a lure soon. :fingerscrossed:

---
My partner had a python escape. He couldn't find her anywhere waited for months. He decided to pack up her things and assumed the worst. Then he moved apartments, same building and floor oddly enough, just a different unit. The first day the new tenant moved in screams could be heard from the unit. My partner's python climbed over to the new tenants bed and was laying on top of this person at night, poor unsuspecting person. Needless to say, she (the snake) was freaked and she slithered into a hole in the wall. A hidden little hole, it was amazing she could fit in there. She was a little over a meter long. From the commotion and the person screaming and running out of his place...my partner was able to find out what happened. They got a builder in there and opened the wall to get her out. At this point she was missing for around 7 months I think. The builder was so amazed by the whole thing they put a make shift plaque into the wall when they resealed it. Sharing the story of what happened. So all worked out in the end. However she was very emaciated and dehydrated. It took her some time to get back to her beautiful self. My partner also invested in more heavy duty lid locks.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I hope you her soon!! :angel1:

I did a co-op at a pet shop. A customer told how his tarantula would escape alot. He kept him in a hamster cage for some reason. Apparently he could squeeze between thel bars as long as he hadn't been eating lately. One time his mother who hated spiders found the tarantula on the pillow next where she was sleeping!!

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
So my little orange baboon tarantula escaped on Sarurday night. After a lot of discussion with people who have experienced the same thing I've determined she shouldn't be a threat to the cockatiel or the rabbit (they are on the main floor, she got out on the top floor) as she likely will not stray too far from where I last saw her.

I've set out some lures in the form of water dishes and tubs of superworms and I got around at night with the lights off and a flashlight to try and spot her. I really, really hope I find her soon.

View attachment 325601
Wait, just so I understand, are you saying the tarantula really theoretically COULD hurt your cockatiel or rabbit but you are assuming the distance is enough deterrent? So scary! Hope you find the tarantula soon, for everyone's sake.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
@ConureTiel P. murinus are old world & the venom is definitely strong enough to kill a small bird. Im guessing the rabbit would die from the stress getting bit would cause honestly. The likelihood of the tarantula actually going after one not that high especially if its well fed. It’ll probably hide a lot instead coming out when it’s dark and most likely won’t travel that far. Best bet is to keep the room it escaped in dark then go searching with a red light for it in the dark.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Oh no I'm sorry! I hope you find her soon! Someone in my leopard gecko group just found their leopard gecko who has been MIA for over a year!
How in the world did that gecko survive?!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How in the world did that gecko survive?!
I'm sure it brumated for a good part of it! My girl sleeps without eating from November to April without losing any weight! The rest of the year, probably used fat stores as it was pretty skinny when they found it!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'm sure it brumated for a good part of it! My girl sleeps without eating from November to April without losing any weight! The rest of the year, probably used fat stores as it was pretty skinny when they found it!
The poor dear! :(

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I hope you find her (and that is one of my nightmares- LOL. I'm so not a spider person. So a tarantula loose in the house..... :scrstf:)
Oh boy...^ditto

Ah can you imagine visiting and then the spidey climbs up the couch to your spot? I would loose my poop...

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I hope you find her soon! :fingerscrossed:

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
@ConureTiel P. murinus are old world & the venom is definitely strong enough to kill a small bird. Im guessing the rabbit would die from the stress getting bit would cause honestly. The likelihood of the tarantula actually going after one not that high especially if its well fed. It’ll probably hide a lot instead coming out when it’s dark and most likely won’t travel that far. Best bet is to keep the room it escaped in dark then go searching with a red light for it in the dark.
Yeah OBT's have a fairly strong venom for a tarantula, a bite to a human will hurt a lot so I imagine it would do some serious damage to a 3.5 pound rabbit. She likely will not even consider going near the rabbit, especially at night when the rabbit is active and is bouncing around her pen, Fred the cockatiel's flight cage is right next to the rabbit's pen so they both should be fairly safe also there is decent distance between where she was last seen and the other animal's cages.
I've set out more superworm tubs as well, tonight I will try raising the heat in the house to try and make her a little more active and more inclined to come out. Also gonna be setting out more water dishes as she is likely thirsty (this one likes her water, every night she would make a pilgrimage to her bowl)
She isn't fully grown yet so if she were to bite me the amount of venom she could inject into me isn't as large as a fully grown specimen so it shouldn't be as bad. Don't get me wrong, it's still gonna be a bad so I'm extra careful when moving anything or stepping around the house.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Yeah OBT's have a fairly strong venom for a tarantula, a bite to a human will hurt a lot so I imagine it would do some serious damage to a 3.5 pound rabbit. She likely will not even consider going near the rabbit, especially at night when the rabbit is active and is bouncing around her pen, Fred the cockatiel's flight cage is right next to the rabbit's pen so they both should be fairly safe also there is decent distance between where she was last seen and the other animal's cages.
I've set out more superworm tubs as well, tonight I will try raising the heat in the house to try and make her a little more active and more inclined to come out. Also gonna be setting out more water dishes as she is likely thirsty (this one likes her water, every night she would make a pilgrimage to her bowl)
She isn't fully grown yet so if she were to bite me the amount of venom she could inject into me isn't as large as a fully grown specimen so it shouldn't be as bad. Don't get me wrong, it's still gonna be a bad so I'm extra careful when moving anything or stepping around the house.
I think the venom might be enough to kill the rabbit with enough time but I’m not really sure on that so I didn’t want to say that haha. I know people report the bites not being a fun time. I have Pokies and the stories I’ve heard about their bites make me extra careful around them & they are still so small! My friend has an adult female P. rufilata and just looking at her size I’m like crap that would be bad.

I would definitely get a red light flashlight instead of a regular one if that’s not what you are using already. I’ve stood over cages beaming the red lights in and they never react. If this happened to me it would be my luck to stick a shoe on & it would be in there:rofl: