• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tanks

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I have two tanks currently.
I use to have a 3 gallon betta tank and a 10 gallon tank.
The 3 gallon wasn't around for long, the 10g was around for just over a year. During the time I had my 10g I has set up a 29g. In January of 2020 I set up a 29g, my largest tank at the time. Almost 3 years and that tank is still running. I'll have to dig through my computer and flash drive to find the first photo of the 29g set up, but this is from August 2020. 20200819_190456.jpg

This is the same tank just last month. There are 5 red-eye tetras in there and a female betta. The watersprite is trimmed once a month but it grows so much during that time! 20221013_083405.jpg
The lower water level to prevent the plants from "melting" to the light...again.

Now, in August of 2022 my neighbor had a yardsale and a large fish tank. I saw the part of the upper frame that goes across the middle and thought "that's AT LEAST 55 gallons." I bought it $30 for tank, stand, and a decoration that was sitting in it. A few measurements and Google searches revealed it wasn't a 55g, it was 75g. I was ecstatic. I decided to turn it into the aquarium I have dreamt of having since I 5 years old. A marine aquarium.

August 2022 20220826_213759.jpg

Today it's got 3 peppermint shrimp, 3 snails, 4 hermit crabs, a starfish, a tuxedo urchin, and a golden damselfish. 20221107_092206.jpg

On September 22nd I added the 3 shrimps and a firefish goby (the reason I always wanted a saltwater tank) but the goby died three days later. A week after adding those I added the starfish and three snails, one snail died a week later. The same day the snail died I added the four hermit crabs and a blenny, the blenny died the following day. I took my water to the petstore to be tested, everything was fine so I added two more snails. One snail died. On October 27th I added the urchin and the damsel, and haven't had any deaths since. I think I may try to add a firefish goby to the tank again soon, or maybe a pair of clownfish.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Those are very nice setups.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Wow! I love all of those plants in your freshwater tank! :wideyed:

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love the planted tank

Good luck with the marine tank a little tip when adding inverts slowly drip aclimate them over about 12 hours they dont do well with even a small change in salinity.
It might be worth getting some nori to feed you urchin as the tank is very new there will not be much in the way of food for it generally urchings need a mature tank ( one running a year plus ) to find enough food.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
It's so pretty! :wideyed: What a bargain on that 75g tank!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful set up :)

T.C.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ty
I had planted tanks for years. They are very eye pleasing and the best part was they never stunk.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I love the planted tank

Good luck with the marine tank a little tip when adding inverts slowly drip aclimate them over about 12 hours they dont do well with even a small change in salinity.
It might be worth getting some nori to feed you urchin as the tank is very new there will not be much in the way of food for it generally urchings need a mature tank ( one running a year plus ) to find enough food.
I always do drip to acclimate any aquatic animals. Typically 15-20 minutes float to adjust the temp, then about 2-3 hours drip for the marine tank, during a time when I am available to supervise it and make sure my other animals don't try to eat them or knock them over.

They had suggested the urchin because of my hair algae problem, I'll take a look at getting some food for it when I go to the pet store tomorrow

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always do drip to acclimate any aquatic animals. Typically 15-20 minutes float to adjust the temp, then about 2-3 hours drip for the marine tank, during a time when I am available to supervise it and make sure my other animals don't try to eat them or knock them over.

They had suggested the urchin because of my hair algae problem, I'll take a look at getting some food for it when I go to the pet store tomorrow
Hair algae is usual in a new setup it generally burns out as Po4 ( phosphate is used up )
A good selection of clean up crew will help keep on top of algae and eat food uneaten by your fish hermit crabs are exceptional but will kill snails if hungry.
Emerald crabs will also keep on top of hair algae and are effective for controling valonia algae, they can grow big however sometimes large enough to predate smaller quieter fish.
Nas snails good for keeping your sandbed clear and consuming uneaten food.

A good mix of above will really help things along worth considering is the amount of clean up crew you need in a large tank, my last tank was about twice the size i used to add 100 hermit crabs and 50 Nas snails a time when needed.