• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My sweet Gus

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I am so sorry, Vanessa! It is very hard and we understand. They sure do leave a mark on us that really never goes away! I still cry over Aries four years later. :sadhug2::sadhug:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some one mentioned that at least we still had Max and Hiccup. I said yeah, but inside I seethed.
Sounds like something that somebody who is not an animal person would say. Someone who doesn´t understand who unique each soul is, and the personality they each have.
I´m sorry someone said that to you :(

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I feel you here completely, except that these are my babies and I don’t have human babies
I have no human children, either, but I sincerely can't imagine loving them any more than I love TD. Or Charlie. Or Dusty. I know folks mean well when they say, "At least you still have (insert name)", but they really ought to stop and think about how they would feel if they lost one of their kids and someone said that.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a little feathered friend is the most gut wrenching feeling in the world. The 'should haves', what ifs' etc, drive us crazy. It does me...even after two and a half years of losing my Amazon. My life will never feel the same. It's because we love them so, and we are trying to make sense of everything, but in reality terribly sad, life changing things happen. Birds are very fragile but it is clear your birds have a loving, caring home with you. As much as we do to keep them safe it is actually impossible to keep them safe from everything.
We have to remember the joy they gave, and how happy they were living with us. Also, how amazing that we shared our lives with our birds. That, in the millions of years that earth has existed, we were living on this planet at exactly the same time as them. I personally am SO thankful for that. I find that thinking happy, positive memories of them, helps to get through the horrible thoughts.

My thoughts are with you at this sad time.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
My spouse framed a picture of Gus and I found one of his beautiful blue flight feathers. I tucked the feather into the frame. I still have an aching hollow spot in my heart. I catch myself browsing the bird rehoming ads, seeking him. There’s this part of me that still struggles with the reality that he is gone. I really appreciate all of your posts and compassion and encouragement. :heart2: AA folks have been a blessing in my life.

dessa.meeh

Sitting on the front steps
My spouse framed a picture of Gus and I found one of his beautiful blue flight feathers. I tucked the feather into the frame. I still have an aching hollow spot in my heart. I catch myself browsing the bird rehoming ads, seeking him. There’s this part of me that still struggles with the reality that he is gone. I really appreciate all of your posts and compassion and encouragement. :heart2: AA folks have been a blessing in my life.
My Kiwi passed almost 3 weeks ago now and I cry every night missing her. I do the same with the rehoming sites wanting to see her again, wanting to hold her again. Although I am still heartbroken, throughout this grieving process, I have been connected to AA and an avian rescue in Oregon: Second Chance Bird Rescue. I wish I had found these communities earlier. You used the right word, "blessing." You all really are.

I picked up all of Kiwi's fluffs around my home last weekend and put them, some feathers, and an imprint of her feet in a shadow box. I hope both of us meet our babies in our dreams, cuddle them, tell them we love them and miss them.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I agree..I too have a parrot shaped hole in my heart. Here in the UK there are very few pet bereavement counsellors, but I did go to a couple...they just didn't get it. I go on lost pets/parrot sites and when I come across a Orange Winged Amazon, my heart sinks. I can barely bring myself to look at the pictures. I had him for 18 years, from 4 months old. He was a part of me.
A physical injury can be fixed but when our brains suffer a trauma, especially a sudden trauma, such as losing a pet when it's not expected, our brains suffer shock. It is often a long time before our brain can process that shock.
All we can really do is take one day at a time...some days are better than others, and then hopefully we can remember more of the happy times. Our birds were happy with us, they passed loved and cherished. I'm sure they are all looking down on us, with love and many happy memories.
And yes, thank goodness for this site x

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
I have no human children, either, but I sincerely can't imagine loving them any more than I love TD. Or Charlie. Or Dusty. I know folks mean well when they say, "At least you still have (insert name)", but they really ought to stop and think about how they would feel if they lost one of their kids and someone said that.
I wasn’t comparing humans and birds, if it came off that way I’m sorry. They’re equal to me, in fact I choose to not have human children and prefer feather babies over them. And thankfully I haven’t encountered anyone who says to me ‘at least you have Lolita’.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I wasn’t comparing humans and birds, if it came off that way I’m sorry.
You must have misunderstood what I was saying. I don't see a difference between human, bird, animal, etc. I couldn't love anyone more than I love my feathered and furred family.

peggopanic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Peggy Wang
You must have misunderstood what I was saying. I don't see a difference between human, bird, animal, etc. I couldn't love anyone more than I love my feathered and furred family.
I think we’re on the same page :)

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I am really having a hard time right now. I cried at he grocery store because my spouse and I walked up the baby food aisle. I had purchased some baby food to try to encourage Gus to eat in the end. Tonight I remembered the last little call that he made at the vets office when the vet was showing me how to administer pain meds. I can’t stop crying.
I feel little to no connection with Max or Hiccup and it’s been like that since Gussy died. I am struggling to keep going. I miss him so much.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I totally understand. When grief would hit me, I put on tennis shoes and walked.

Consider doing counseling. I didn't know it at the time but I think that was what helped me. They're unrelated to the problem and it truly helps us to unburden thoughts and grief. He was your family.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Consider doing counseling. I didn't know it at the time but I think that was what helped me. They're unrelated to the problem and it truly helps us to unburden thoughts and grief. He was your family.
I second counseling. I was not really thrilled aboutthe idea when I went, but my GP recommended. It was actually a blessing and I'm very glad I went. It helped tremendously.

There's so much stigma around mental health and treatments. But talking about this sort of stuff helps to let others know they're not alone. There's nothing "wrong" with us, we just have had a lot of stuff happen in our lives. And it's sort if like a cleanse to off load and sort through the stuff we've been carrying around and weighing us down.

I really hope you find some peace. It takes time, patience, tears. Every pet I've lost has taken a piece of my heart with them and left a piece if theirs with me. I believe when my time comes my heart will no longer be mine, but belong to all those I've loved.

:heart2:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There's nothing "wrong" with us, we just have had a lot of stuff happen in our lives.

Every pet I've lost has taken a piece of my heart with them and left a piece if theirs with me. I believe when my time comes my heart will no longer be mine, but belong to all those I've loved.
Wow. Just wow. I'm trying to keep from crying right now.

So true

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I hope it helps you, it's so hard when you lose a critter that has been a beloved family member for a long time in your life.
I would think just being able to talk about it and get useful feedback to help you cope with your grief would be a good thing :sadhug:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I got a referral. I’ll have to see how it goes.:wideyed:
That's the first step. A good step.

I met the first person and just didn't connect, something didn't feel .... right so instead of making another appt there, I chose another from my list to make an appt with. We meshed.

Prayers up for you.