• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My sun conure is having breathing issues (sad update #37)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss.
:sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that you lost your girl. As I told you earlier, I have a bird with ABV/PDD and there is no cure for it. Just remember her with love and she will always be with you.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:So sorry, that's a bad disease. She was suffering from something attacking her system. You did all you could do.
Least she is at peace now & you know what was causing it. Its contagious though so try to disinfect things & I hope the other birds will be OK.

:sorrow:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m so sorry to hear of your loss:(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
This really hurts so bad… she suffered for an entire week.. I feel so guilty I couldn’t help her at all :sad11: Thank you so much everyone for the very nice words…

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Does anyone know what could cause that? I’m trying to look everywhere, but I can’t find a reason why she got bornavirus? So I can learn from my mistakes… because I feel guilty and think is was my fault she got that terrible disease :sad11:

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
By the way also know if this virus produces a huge blisters? I Don’t Know why but during her care in the hospital, she got a huge blister under her wing, that was another reason for going to the ER, it was dried but getting infected, I Don’t Know why and I’m supremely mad because nobody wants to get me an answer in the hospital, why her blister got extremely bloody and she had blood in her beak, I was told ther were going to put a collar to prevent her to plucking her feather and touch that, but when the return my baby feather body, this was the nasty surprise I got beside her death…. I Don’t Know if I did the right thing bringing her over there, instead another place… it was supposed to be one of the best ER in Manhattan… I’m so upset and frustrated in this moment… I know bornavirus produce feather plucking and mutilation but not blisters….
( I Don’t Know if I’m allow to show the picture of the dried blister to show what I mean because it looks really bad, so that’s why I’m not doing it, I don’t have a picture of the bloody one because it hurts my soul to even think about it )

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is a lot of discussion (and research) as to how birds acquire the ABV virus. No one knows for sure, but the most favored theory, right now, is that the huge majority of infections are passed down from hen to baby in the eggs. There are other theories out there, but none have been proven - including the egg theory.
Keep in mind that it is estimated that approximately 30%+ of our parrots, both wild and captured are infected with ABV.

The ABV is not highly contagious and it lives for only about 8 hours outside of the host. Many, many birds live their lifetime with the AV virus and never develop clinical PDD.

To my knowledge (and my knowledge s not all encompassing) none of the results/symptoms of PDD include blistering. But realize that any bird that was as ill as yours was has absolutely no immune system and is subject to anything, any bacteria, any fungus and multiple organ failures, which can cause many illnesses. I would not focus too very much on those "blisters" - PDD killed her.

Here is the most recent and most encompassing information on ABV/PDD. Perhaps some of your questions can be answered by reading this paper. I have read it several times and still don't understand everything in it, but it's a good start.

My complete sympathy is with you.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
There is a lot of discussion (and research) as to how birds acquire the ABV virus. No one knows for sure, but the most favored theory, right now, is that the huge majority of infections are passed down from hen to baby in the eggs. There are other theories out there, but none have been proven - including the egg theory.
Keep in mind that it is estimated that approximately 30%+ of our parrots, both wild and captured are infected with ABV.

The ABV is not highly contagious and it lives for only about 8 hours outside of the host. Many, many birds live their lifetime with the AV virus and never develop clinical PDD.

To my knowledge (and my knowledge s not all encompassing) none of the results/symptoms of PDD include blistering. But realize that any bird that was as ill as yours was has absolutely no immune system and is subject to anything, any bacteria, any fungus and multiple organ failures, which can cause many illnesses. I would not focus too very much on those "blisters" - PDD killed her.

Here is the most recent and most encompassing information on ABV/PDD. Perhaps some of your questions can be answered by reading this paper. I have read it several times and still don't understand everything in it, but it's a good start.

My complete sympathy is with you.
Thank you so much!! You are like an angel to me right now, no even the doctor talked to me and explain about it, they just said you only have 5 minutes to answer me if we put her down or prolonged her life but she’s going to suffer a lot. That’s the only thing they said to me… Thank you for answering me every single message, I know how I can only count in you guys, because so far nobody in the hospital bothered to tell me anything in detail.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I Don’t Know how to express my feeling right now to every single one in here, only my thank you and my gratitude. I never Got this amount of answers/advices and many kind words from anyone since I only heard from people saying ( is only a bird, why bother if they have very short spam life and they are not considered as a pet or family member ) for me, my birds are not my pet, they are my entire world, family and my precious babies.
( picture: my little corner in my desk in memory of my two birds that passed in less than a month “missing the plate for my sun conure bird right now - lucky”) Thank you so much every single person who answer or wrote kind words in here in this moment so difficult.! :sun:

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thank you. We are kind and caring people on this forum.

My advice for you is to find a vet that you like and who is responsive to you and your birds. It may take several tries, but do it. I've been with my vet for almost 25 years now and he is my hero. He saved my Hank and Jaspers' lives numerous times and has always taught me and been completely honest and open with me. They ultimately died, but not because of a lack of medical care. He is now guiding me through this very difficult journey with Kitty and PDD. She will die, but because of him and his caring I will be confident that everything that can be done will be done and the rest of her life will be the best it can be.

I'll ask @Macawnutz to post her criteria for a vet. she's really busy so it may be a couple of days.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry you didn´t get any clear answers for your vet. I don´t know anything about ABV but Mary Lynn is knowledgable and yes, she´s an Angel.

Sending warm thoughts your way :sadhug:

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Thank you. We are kind and caring people on this forum.

My advice for you is to find a vet that you like and who is responsive to you and your birds. It may take several tries, but do it. I've been with my vet for almost 25 years now and he is my hero. He saved my Hank and Jaspers' lives numerous times and has always taught me and been completely honest and open with me. They ultimately died, but not because of a lack of medical care. He is now guiding me through this very difficult journey with Kitty and PDD. She will die, but because of him and his caring I will be confident that everything that can be done will be done and the rest of her life will be the best it can be.

I'll ask @Macawnutz to post her criteria for a vet. she's really busy so it may be a couple of days.
I hope I will find my hero vet too… now I will need to check my other 2 birds for this too but I Don’t Know where to go right now and I just going to take a break until Monday, I’m in too much pain right now for getting another bad news ( just in case ) and they look healthy right now, so I will try get an appointment as soon as possible.
Thank you for your advices and take the time for answer every single message.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I´m very sorry you didn´t get any clear answers for your vet. I don´t know anything about ABV but Mary Lynn is knowledgable and yes, she´s an Angel.

Sending warm thoughts your way :sadhug:
I agree with you!! Thank you so much, this is the best place I ever found to get clear answers and advices.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The test you need to ask for is the "antigangliode assay".

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
The test you need to ask for is the "antigangliode assay".
Ohh Thank you so much, I just got them not too long ago like around 3 months ( two parakeets) and before my other bird, I never got anything related to this kind of things, so I’m not sure what kind of tests should I ask to check in them, I always was told: ohh your birds looks healthy, they don’t need any blood test or things like that and I trusted the vet blinded, I always was more a lizard person until I rescued my two birds ( my profile picture ) and now I’m half lol half bird, half lizard, so this still very new to me and my ignorance of thinking they never going yo get sick as long as I take good care of them and check them with the vet from time to time, I’m embarrassed of myself… that’s why I said my vets before were terrible experiences for my birds….
Thank you