• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My sun conure is having breathing issues (sad update #37)

Budv48

Moving in
Real Name
Bud Voegtlin
For some reason i don’t have the privilege to reply to your post so I made a new one. If you want to the vet and they have found nothing wrong with your bird I would suggest a couple things if your bird is having breathing problems. I have six different species of birds and the conure is without a doubt the most sensitive to anything and can start sneezing and breathing harder over the slightest thing. If again the vet has found nothing and your bird is still having breathing problems it has to be something in the air in your home. On top of that being upset because the other bird died and the broken feather that was bleeding. Is your home very hot? The first thing I thought of after reading your post is there must be something that is causing the bird the breath hard if the vet found nothing wrong. My conure is very sensitive to all aerosols, deodorant, perfume , air fresheners, laundry detergents, dryer sheets, even if the smell from the dryer sheets come through the air conditioner vent from my basement it can bother him. I’m am beyond sure that your conures breathing problems are from something that I’d around the house! I’m sure he still isn’t bleeding but it will take sometime for his loneliness to get better he’s just going to need that companionship with you! Please let me know how things turn out and if you find anything like a cleaning product or perfume or any chemical that could be causing this. Also was your bird having breathing problems while at the vet /avian doctor or just at home?

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I have another question for anyone that can answer it and I’m very sorry to bother anyone in this very difficult time, but beside my bird having an infection for what they suspect by the breathing problem, she also lacks iron in her body by the bloody feather, would you mind telling me what I can give my bird for improve her iron? I’m looking everywhere but I can’t find nothing about beside that weird medicines that I don’t trust them if the avian didn’t say anything about it, like any kind of fruits or vegetables or something I can give my bird? Thank you so much for your time, I Don’t Know if it is right to say this but may God bless you and your birdies buddies.
I just amaze that I message my vet at 7 am and now it’s 4:21 pm and I still don’t have any news… I know they may be busy but then why they tell me to message them, if they not even going to answer a simple question about the iron or test results…
I’m waiting for that answer so I can go to another avian doctor with that information already in my hands

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What is their current diet? You want to be careful supplementing iron because it is extremely easy to overdose birds with iron.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For some reason i don’t have the privilege to reply to your post so I made a new one. If you want to the vet and they have found nothing wrong with your bird I would suggest a couple things if your bird is having breathing problems. I have six different species of birds and the conure is without a doubt the most sensitive to anything and can start sneezing and breathing harder over the slightest thing. If again the vet has found nothing and your bird is still having breathing problems it has to be something in the air in your home. On top of that being upset because the other bird died and the broken feather that was bleeding. Is your home very hot? The first thing I thought of after reading your post is there must be something that is causing the bird the breath hard if the vet found nothing wrong. My conure is very sensitive to all aerosols, deodorant, perfume , air fresheners, laundry detergents, dryer sheets, even if the smell from the dryer sheets come through the air conditioner vent from my basement it can bother him. I’m am beyond sure that your conures breathing problems are from something that I’d around the house! I’m sure he still isn’t bleeding but it will take sometime for his loneliness to get better he’s just going to need that companionship with you! Please let me know how things turn out and if you find anything like a cleaning product or perfume or any chemical that could be causing this. Also was your bird having breathing problems while at the vet /avian doctor or just at home?
There are restrictions on who can and cannot reply in the 911 area as Lady Jane mentioned.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@iswe - there are a number of foods that contain iron. You don't want to over do feeding them iron rich foods, but it's ok two or three months a week. Here is an article. Spinach is high in iron.

Be the noisy wheel with your vet and keep messaging them for results or at least to call you and give you the status.

Also, you are your birds only protection, so make sure you know what and why the vet is doing anything or taking tests on your bird. Make sure you know the names of medications.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Thank you sooooo much for your time and dedication for answering my message!! You don’t have idea how much this help right now specially after spending 2 days crying without stop because I don’t getting answers and my bird is not looking good either, she was in my mom home for couple days, so I Don’t Know what they did with smells but in my temporary home right now, I don’t even have perfume or smelly things around them ( I have 2 more birds beside my sun conure ) I practically throw out every that’s causing smells in my home, my home is very small with not too many windows, but I keeping them air humidifier on almost all day, my home right now is a little bit hot but someone told me not to use the air conditioners because of her condition, so honestly I Don’t Know what to do a this point, I was thinking to buy a oxygen chamber, but sadly I can’t do it because the place they sell it is asking me for a referral and my avian doctor is not even answering my calls or text, and I was thinking about getting a nebulizer, but I’m afraid to buy the wrong one and end up killing her, plus I see I need to put some medicine for it to work and I swear I don’t have idea which one is the property one for birds

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
What is their current diet? You want to be careful supplementing iron because it is extremely easy to overdose birds with iron.
She is extremely picky eater… right now I’m trying slowly change her diet for nutrition-berries and the food that she hates the most (zupreem fruit blend flavor ) she used to have a diet of only pellets… I feel terrible about it and I think I’m a bad person because I got it because the stores said it was ok and she never tried it that food before when I first tried it, also she doesn’t really like vegetables, only fruits but I know I can’t give a lot by the sugar

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
@iswe - there are a number of foods that contain iron. You don't want to over do feeding them iron rich foods, but it's ok two or three months a week. Here is an article. Spinach is high in iron.

Be the noisy wheel with your vet and keep messaging them for results or at least to call you and give you the status.

Also, you are your birds only protection, so make sure you know what and why the vet is doing anything or taking tests on your bird. Make sure you know the names of medications.
Thank you so much, I will keep in mind that, I was just thinking about it because since the bloody feathers, she also lost a lot blood and for some reason she’s not making back that blood, said the vet, and is true I should be paying extremely attention for what the doctor is telling me, is just sometimes is hard for me to understand the full topic since English is not my first language and when I panic ( because of my bird ) I can’t understand almost anything at that moments and my avian vet is not the most friendly? Since she doesn’t want to talk to my Boyfriend that speaks perfect English… she only wants to communicate with me and is very complicated sometimes, even though my birds are also my Boyfriend birds…

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The only thing I can say is to try her on baby bird formula,,off a spoon? Or, some Gerbers baby food, found in the supermarket, if, you have that where you are,,some Gerber mixed vegetables, try scrambled eggs, cooked cooled oatmeal, brown rice, Quinoa..Enrofloxin is a Broad spectrum, so that's good, .. If you can get Pedialyte, unflavored, or Gatorade, unflavored, try that to keep her hydrated, I dont what else to tell you..I will pray for her!

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
The only thing I can say is to try her on baby bird formula,,off a spoon? Or, some Gerbers baby food, found in the supermarket, if, you have that where you are,,some Gerber mixed vegetables, try scrambled eggs, cooked cooled oatmeal, brown rice, Quinoa..Enrofloxin is a Broad spectrum, so that's good, .. If you can get Pedialyte, unflavored, or Gatorade, unflavored, try that to keep her hydrated, I dont what else to tell you..I will pray for her!
Thank you so much, I Don’t Know what to do anymore, I’m in the point just to cry till I fall asleep, I Don’t Know what just happened but again she hurt herself and I’m just crying right now, beside being sick, she has this terrible issue of pulling her feathers but never like this point of bleeding herself, I’m looking right now a closer vet Right Now for this wound But I swear beside the behavior issue and she being sick, I Don’t Know what to do at all, it just happened in one second, and I have a camera next to her cage to monitor her the 24 hours and I just went to the toilet for a second and this happened….

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm so sorry you and your sweet bird are going through all of this right now. I hope you'll get answers and proper care soon. It's so stressful when they are sick, especially when you can't figure out what's going on.

I am no expert by any means so I could be completely wrong but have you or your vet researched something called conure bleeding syndrome? It's possible the stress of losing your other bird may have cause this underlying condition to come out now. Like I said, I could be completely wrong. Just something to look into perhaps.

I hope your feathered baby will be ok!!

Another word for it word be Haemorrhagic conure syndrome

Last edited:

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I'm so sorry you and your sweet bird are going through all of this right now. I hope you'll get answers and proper care soon. It's so stressful when they are sick, especially when you can't figure out what's going on.

I am no expert by any means so I could be completely wrong but have you or your vet researched something called conure bleeding syndrome? It's possible the stress of losing your other bird may have cause this underlying condition to come out now. Like I said, I could be completely wrong. Just something to look into perhaps.

I hope your feathered baby will be ok!!

Another word for it word be Haemorrhagic conure syndrome

Thank you so much!! I will ask this to my avian and see what they say about it!! Thank you ♥

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Sorry about your conure and hope you can get some help soon. In reply to hankmacaw's inquiry, I unfortunately can't be of help. I live in the Syracuse, NY area, which is a long way from Queens, and I'm not familiar with veterinarians outside of my own area.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Sorry about your conure and hope you can get some help soon. In reply to hankmacaw's inquiry, I unfortunately can't be of help. I live in the Syracuse, NY area, which is a long way from Queens, and I'm not familiar with veterinarians outside of my own area.
Thank you anyway, I’m here again in the ER for 3 time because I just noticed a huge blister under her wing and she keeps making herself bleed more and not breathing well too…

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Please keep us posted. I hope you get some answers from your vet.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Thank you all for your best wishes and everything… today my baby girl feather had to be put down… she was suffering a lot because she had bornavirus… my heart is broke but at least she is not suffering anymore, thank you guys for all the help, at least I was alone and I got good advised for my other 2 birds. Now i need to get them check and wish they didn’t got that too.
Thank you so much all of you guys for the help. I swear I really appreciate it.
Here is a picture of my two babies that I lost in one single month….
Thank you :’(

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry