• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My sun conure is having breathing issues (sad update #37)

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Hello, I would be very thankful is someone can answer this question for me, because right now I’m very desperate for answers and I see a lot post of people asking for advices with their sick feathers buddies.
Like 3 weeks ago the partner of my sun conure died out of not where and I didn’t have the change to go to the avian for him, since he was in my mother home at the moment because my new place doesn’t allow me to have pets, so while I’m looking for a new place, they stayed in my mom home.

after my bird died, my sun conure lucky started to develop some issues, and everything started with a bloody feather since she is picking her feathers after this happened with my other bird, the problem here is that I already went twice to ER for my bird in one week and my avian doctor can’t give me an answer why she’s like this, she’s having issues for breath and the antibiotics are not doing it’s job, she keeps losing weight despite that she’s eating like there is the end of the world, she’s not drinking too much water, she is extremely weak And cry? The entire day and night, she’s not sleeping at all, the doctor said her liver, kidney and everything it’s ok but she’s not regenerating the blood that she lost and have very low iron and I Don’t Know what to do anymore, the doctor told me it was ok for me to bring her home 2 days ago, after having to stay over 5 days in the hospital.
I know I should be running right now to the vet again but the doctor is not giving me a clear answer, she did a bunch of test and blood test but nothing and I swear that New York is missing of good avians doctor that knows what they are doing, I have an appointment with the doctor this Sunday, but I’m extremely afraid she’s not going to make it and I’m tired that the doctor can’t find a answer for this.

mom thinking about to buy an oxygen chamber or something but I don’t even have idea what I should be looking for…

please!! PLEASE!! Someone help my soulmate bird, I can’t lose her too

I’m sorry for the long message but I swear I Don’t Know what to do anymore and I’m extremely scare that’s going to be too late…

I’m sorry English is not my first language so I’m struggling a lot to write this long message while crying and looking for answers after 2 nights of not sleep because I’m watching my bird the 24 hours without stopping

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am so sorry your bird is sick. And your English is fine, no worries. I will tag some people who can better advise than me. @Hankmacaw ? @Birdbabe ? @Mizzely ?

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I am so sorry your bird is sick. And your English is fine, no worries. I will tag some people who can better advise than me. @Hankmacaw ? @Birdbabe ? @Mizzely ?
Thank you so much for answering my question, I have been waiting hours, since not even my avian vet is picking up the phone right now and I don’t want to stress my bird out more with a 3 visit in one week to the ER, Thank you so much ❤

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you so much for answering my question, I have been waiting hours, since not even my avian vet is picking up the phone right now and I don’t want to stress my bird out more with a 3 visit in one week to the ER, Thank you so much ❤
I know how hard it is to wait when your bird isn't well. My cockatoo had an eye injury a couple months ago and I was going crazy waiting to hear from a vet. What type of antibiotics is your bird on?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
An oxygen chamber might be a good idea until you can figure things out. Are they any other vets you can see since yours seems stumped? What kind of tests have been done? Any xrays etc?

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I know how hard it is to wait when your bird isn't well. My cockatoo had an eye injury a couple months ago and I was going crazy waiting to hear from a vet. What type of antibiotics is your bird on?
Right now the only thing they gave me for her is enrofloxacin 25 mg and nothing else but she seems to hate it because she doesn’t react good after taking it and I don’t see any improvement

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
An oxygen chamber might be a good idea until you can figure things out. Are they any other vets you can see since yours seems stumped? What kind of tests have been done? Any xrays etc?
So far they only did the blood test for what I can see in the discharge papers from both times I went last week but nothing else, the doctor keep telling to come to many appointments but I couldn’t even went to one last Sunday because she ended up again in the ER, now the vet wants me to wait till this Sunday again, but I Don’t Know if it’s a good idea, in my opinion she is not improving at all and she is losing a lot weight, despite that she keeps eating

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
And the problem is only few avians here in New York that have good reviews and I don’t want to risk her with any person that doesn’t know what they doing, or they telling me to make an appointment for who knows when it’s going to be available, my apologies ( I’m just waiting a little bit or I will risk again bring her for 3 time to the ER, but I know they will not do much either )

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What part of NY are you in?

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
What part of NY are you in?
Queens, Whitestone. I went all the way to Manhattan for an avian doctor and I check her before in a Long Island avian doc before ( terrible experience in my bird life ) ( both places are not even close to me )

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It appears, from the invoices that you posted, that the vets are doing everything appropriate for your bird - except giving you a diagnosis. Have results of the blood tests come back?

The Center For Avian & Exotic Medicine in NYC has a good reputation - perhaps you can get an appointment with them. Veterinary | Avian and Exotic Medicine | Manhattan

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
Ohh ok it is good to know that they really are watching her, I got nervous since the only problem here is they not telling me the blood test results ( also while I was waiting for my bird the first time in the ER, one of the doctor confused my number with another patient’s and told me to put down my pet when it wasn’t even my pet name, I swear my heart dropped in the middle of the waiting area when that lady said that to me ) so I got very nervous after that and I will try to call and make an appointment for the place you recommended me, Thank you so much, I just hope they have something available, because the covid thing, a lot places are not even taking new patients pet or even allow me to talk directly with the doctors, so I’m getting very nervous since my bird is my entire world and I can’t lose her too, I already lost one, but I can’t lose both, my heart will not handle it at all, they are my babies, not my pet ❤

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have a very ill bird and must take care of her now, but I will be back.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I have a very ill bird and must take care of her now, but I will be back.
Wishing your baby feather the best and fast recovery!! Thank you for your help, I’m sure you are also very stress and sad like I am Right Now, Thank you for your time

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My bird will not recover. She has PDD and will die, but I am reconciled to that and am just taking care of her and making her as happy and comfortable as possible.

When were the blood tests taken - it takes up to one week to receive the results. I do not see where any blood was taken for testing - was blood taken. This is the very first thing that needs to be done.

@cnyguy - do have any recommendations for a vet for this person in New York (Queens)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I read your first post again and see that your vet did take blood for tests. Do you have the results of these tests? Please post the results if you do have them.

Has anyone tested her for Aspergillosis? That disease is a distinct possibility.

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
My bird will not recover. She has PDD and will die, but I am reconciled to that and am just taking care of her and making her as happy and comfortable as possible.

When were the blood tests taken - it takes up to one week to receive the results. I do not see where any blood was taken for testing - was blood taken. This is the very first thing that needs to be done.

@cnyguy - do have any recommendations for a vet for this person in New York (Queens)
I’m really sorry to hear that, I Don’t Know what to say now… stay strong!!

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel
I read your first post again and see that your vet did take blood for tests. Do you have the results of these tests? Please post the results if you do have them.

Has anyone tested her for Aspergillosis? That disease is a distinct possibility.
That’s the issue they told me the second time I went there that they did the blood test because she was very anemic by a bloody feather, but this is the moment that I still waiting for any answer, they should have told me Monday or something, but now is Wednesday and I don’t know about the results yet…

Isawe

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Isabel

They told me they did a test for something like that but I’m not sure the name again… it’s the very first time I hear about this infection plus my body being tired of not sleep by taking care of my bird the 24 hours that I’m clearly don’t remember if that’s the test they did…. I’m very sorry