• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My son's khaki campbells were attacked last night (sad update post #8)

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
At 0330 this morning my son was awakened to the sound of his ducks being attacked. We don't know if it was an owl or a racoon, but 2 of his precious young ducks have neck injuries. He's taking them to our avian vet as we speak, but the male isn't doing very well. I don't have a very good feeling about his injuries. Daisy, his other duck, was unharmed.

He's kicking himself for not having completed building their pen. They'd outgrown their other enclosure, so he'd been leaving them out in our side yard for the past few weeks.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh no I pray that they will be ok.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no this is awful! I'm so very sorry to hear this. I hope they will both be ok and that your son will be able to find peace.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope they will be okay!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Aww I hope they will be ok! Glad Daisy was unharmed though I´m sure she´ll be spooked :(
Fingers crossed everything goes ok at the vet!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just heard back from the avian vet. The male is in bad shape and will be hospitalized overnight. They're going to do some x-rays to see if they can determine the extend of his neck injuries. His prognosis is guarded for now.
We are praying for the best, but have also braced for the worst. We should know more by this afternoon.
They're just 3 months old...

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just heard back from the avian vet. The male is in bad shape and will be hospitalized overnight. They're going to do some x-rays to see if they can determine the extend of his neck injuries. His prognosis is guarded for now.
We are praying for the best, but have also braced for the worst. We should know more by this afternoon.
They're just 3 months old...
Aw poor sweet little babies. Sending lots of prayers and good thoughts for their recovery. :sadhug2:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He didn't make it. He coded while they were placing his IV and they couldn't revive him. My son is beyond devastated over his passing. His ducks have been such a tremendous source of comfort for him (he suffers from depression), and he blames himself for not having completed their enclosure in time. Am very worried about his mental state over this loss.

We lost 2 of our precious birds and our cat 2 months ago, and now we're mourning another precious loss. We'll get through this, too.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh no, that´s very sad. I´m so sorry for your loss :sadhug:
Any news on the other duck?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He didn't make it. He coded while they were placing his IV and they couldn't revive him. My son is beyond devastated over his passing. His ducks have been such a tremendous source of comfort for him (he suffers from depression), and he blames himself for not having completed their enclosure in time. Am very worried about his mental state over this loss.

We lost 2 of our precious birds and our cat 2 months ago, and now we're mourning another precious loss. We'll get through this, too.
I'm so very sorry to hear this. Yall have suffered far too much lately and I'm just so sorry. I hope your son can forgive himself. This was a tragic accident but not his fault yall had no reason to think anything would happen. Please give him a hug from all of us. We all mourn the loss of your sweet duckie boy with you. :sadhug2: :sadhug:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
My heart just sank, I am so so sorry for all the losses your family has suffered. May God watch over your son and help him.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you, everyone. Penny, his other duck, is going to be fine. A portion of her beak was torn back, so he's having to syringe feed her for now.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry he didn't make it, snd I hope your son won’t be too hard on himself.
:sadhug2:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, everyone. Penny, his other duck, is going to be fine. A portion of her beak was torn back, so he's having to syringe feed her for now.
How is little Penny doing? I hope she's thriving :heart:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi @April, thank you SO MUCH for asking about Penny. Penny feathered out to become a drake, but my son still calls him Penny:D! He's doing very well and is very bonded to Daisy.
Aww what a funny twist that turned out to be. So glad to hear that he made a full recovery and that he's bonded to her. Any new pics of them?