• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My son just brought home...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here's a pic of the duck. We're leaning towards it being a female. Thoughts?? IMG_1635.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness what a little cutie pie!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
What kind of sound does (s)he make? Females quack, drakes make the softest and most adorable sounds, not sure how to describe it. Males usually have the curled tail feathers, but my male didn't have it while molting, and it took about 1,5 year untill he had a fully curved tail, before that is was just the one odd curved feather. Some have more curved tail feathers then others, the sounds is much more reliable. Ducks often have a more triangular shaped head, males often a more oval shaped head.
Your son has a kind heart, warms my heart that he took the little one home. People can be so cruel, but your son was in the right place, at the right time thankfully. I bet you will love having him or her around, ducks are amazing! Would love to see some pictures. Good luck with her!
He/she quacks and also makes low keyed noises.
My son said the duck passed some tears after his/her bath. He said it wasn't from the water. Can they pass tears from happiness?

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'd say it's a little lady but I haven't had ducks in a long time. His/her sounds and behaviour would be the best way to tell. Either way, very sweet! And I love the name Sebastian either way. :D

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That duck is so cute! I know you're leaning towards Daisy, but do consider Jemima Puddle Duck. :laugh:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:awww: From what I've read the curls can molt out in fall & grow back in spring.
Females are said to have different vocals etc more loud quack & may have dark freckles on the beak.
Your duck may be molted so it might not be so easy to tell by curl but I guess you will have an idea by the sound of the quack.

Sure is cute & guess loved the bath. Ducks I imagine love water.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thanks everyone. It never ceases to amaze me how inhumane people can be.
He's already imprinted on my son. Follows him everywhere. He's talking about getting a harness and taking him out and about with him.:laugh:
First he rescues my CAG, Sydney. And now this duck!
You know I used to rescue stray cats. After we got the second one, my Dad said that if I brought any more home, the cat would stay and I would go.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I'd say a gril as well! She has that defiance stance:roflmao: Still, it's a guess. You will know for sure if she lays an egg:D She is beautiful either way:heart:
Myn passed a tear once when he was fully healthy, not sure why that happened, it happened after bathing. Another time was when he had an infection and his eyes were a little irritated, so there the cause was obvious.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She/he looks like a female to me.

Lots of love needed! Ducks are very social. If you can adopt a few friends for her it will be bliss! Though be careful about drake to hen ratio. Too many males to one hen can become a nightmare for her. Try and adopt more hens if possible.

I personally keep 3 drakes. They are also brothers. They get very pushy sometimes and I need to keep them separate from my chickens.

Last edited:

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Looks like a little girl! And what a bold lady too! She's adorable! :heart: :xflove: Ducks are so funny and cute-they've got such endearing personalities too!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So, Miss Daisy starting laying eggs this week. Our neighbor told my son how much he loved to eat duck eggs so he gave him her first ones.
Unfortunately around 4 hours after eating her eggs he became very sick; nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, so I suspect he got salmonella from them.

If that's the case, what can we do to avoid getting salmonella? What is the treatment for poultry carrying salmonella? My son had washed the shells beforehand.
He did admit to having eaten them with the yolks being on the runny side.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Congratulations on confirming Miss Daisy is a she ;)

Any of our ducks or chickens could carry salmonella. The best thing is to be fastidious about hand washing. You can wash the eggs too. Likely the runny yolk was not the cause, but cooking well will of course help. The salmonella was likely on the exterior of the egg and when the egg was cracked it transferred to the food. The interior of the eggs will be protected.

The best thing you can do in increase how often you are cleaning the next box. My partner freshens the chickens nest boxes every morning. The whole coops gets a weekly cleaning.

Edit:
@Nikomania
Sorry I forgot add this, wanted to tag incase you missed the inclusion. And it gives far better tips on washing eggs!

Last edited:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@fashionfobie so you're saying that the duck doesn't need to be treated as well? I read somewhere else that if a duck was a carrier that the salmonella would have already gotten inside the egg prior to layjng.
My son did wash the eggs with soapy water.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I didn't know it could get within the egg I always was told and believed it was from the exterior shell (from contact with feces), though I was mistaken Thank you for that :) . The same standards will apply regardless. If you follow the CDC they advise not washing the eggs in cold water, but instead brushing or sanding the shell.

The included links below may help. Poultry DVM is usually pretty good, but they are geared towards chickens. One thing with ducks is generally they are more resistant to parasites than chickens; however, this is dependent on having ample fresh water. The duck digestive system is quick paired with the amount of water the go through, parasites have a harder time. If I were you I would move Miss Daisy to a new area of your yard. I would also bleach her house, scrubbing the walls, nest boxes everything. Ensure that she has lots of fresh water, and clean her water a few times during the day. The idea is to try and remove as much of the bacteria from her environment as possible, and then maintain that standard until she tests negative. One suggestion for treating chickens is fermented feed, I would not do this for your duck since ducks benefit more from leafy greens than grain anyway. I would likely go to a vet and get their opinion on a more aggressive treatment.

Salmonella and Eggs

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you @fashionfobie! I appreciate all your guidance on this. I'll be passing this info along to my son so he'll be motivated to bump up his cleaning regime.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I can't wait until your son chances upon an abandoned baby African elephant or brontosaurus. :rofl:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't wait until your son chances upon an abandoned baby African elephant or brontosaurus. :rofl:
Lol! Hmm I'm thinking more along the lines of a Bobcat kitten or Coyote pup ;)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh stop it already! :D He's already talking about getting another duck to keep Daisy company!:rolleyes:
I think we're plumb out of real estate to even consider taking on that baby elephant.