• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My son just brought home...

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
a domestic duck. Apparently some heartless jerks were seen setting it loose by the lake this morning. One of his friends lives in the area and saw the abandonment. He scooped it up and then called my son to see what he should do.

Tonight I was greeted by a huge white duck peering over the top of the box my son was transporting him in. His mind was already made up that he was going to keep him, and he named him Sebastian.

Here we go AGAIN.:justducky:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww so happy you son rescued the duck - sounds like you've taught him well! :)

Can't wait to see pics of Sebastian :heart2:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww Ducks are the best! Good on your son he was raised right for sure. I can't wait to see pics of Sebastian I love the name btw!

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
I’ve rescued several domestic ducks that were dumped as well, including a bunch of ducklings too. They’re such endearing creatures. And the name Sebastian is just perfect for a duck! :heart:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone. It never ceases to amaze me how inhumane people can be.
He's already imprinted on my son. Follows him everywhere. He's talking about getting a harness and taking him out and about with him.:laugh:
First he rescues my CAG, Sydney. And now this duck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So happy to hear your sons friend saw what was going on and your son took him in. Sebastian is going to have a great life, I´m sure of it :)

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He's already in love with him, although I think it may be a 'she'. Don't the males have a curled up tail feather? This one doesn't have one.
If it turns out to be a 'she', he'll be renaming her Daisy.

I'll post a pic or two in another day or so. Am swamped with Bodacious orders, which is why I haven't been very active on the forum lately. :geek:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's already in love with him, although I think it may be a 'she'. Don't the males have a curled up tail feather? This one doesn't have one.
From what I understand adult males do generally have curly tails - so sounds like you have a Daisy! Here are the two Slug Patrol ladies from my in-laws':

Screenshot_20211021-145653_Instagram.jpg

I think they sound different as well - females tend to "quack" and males make softer, more whistling noises.

Ducks eggs are fantastic for baking cakes ;)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

I'll post a pic or two in another day or so. Am swamped with Bodacious orders, which is why I haven't been very active on the forum lately. :geek:
What kind of sound does (s)he make? Females quack, drakes make the softest and most adorable sounds, not sure how to describe it. Males usually have the curled tail feathers, but my male didn't have it while molting, and it took about 1,5 year untill he had a fully curved tail, before that is was just the one odd curved feather. Some have more curved tail feathers then others, the sounds is much more reliable. Ducks often have a more triangular shaped head, males often a more oval shaped head.
Your son has a kind heart, warms my heart that he took the little one home. People can be so cruel, but your son was in the right place, at the right time thankfully. I bet you will love having him or her around, ducks are amazing! Would love to see some pictures. Good luck with her!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yep @Khizz beat me too it. Generally drakes have the curl.

You should also notice the difference in vocalisations. Females are generally a bit more boisterous and quack more in that iconic duck way. Males have generally softer voices and whisper.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What a son! You should be ever so proud....

Did I get Sydney updated pictures??

:think1: