• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My senegal started to tap his beak on his cage and sometimes me O.o

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
I am not a 100% sure what's going in be he started this 2 weeks ago. He dose it some times when sitting on his cage when the door of his cage is wide open even sometimes on me. He also opens his beak really fast like a clicking nose and pins his eyes but he never bites I am not sure if he is excited to see me or anything but he dose follow me around everywhere. If I leave the door open he will crawl down and walk down the hall way to find me sometimes. He is also very comical. :lol:

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Ralph the Quaker parrot likes to tap on things too (and that includes my head :D ). He even invented a game where he taps on the cage or a perch in a certain way, and I have to repeat what he did exactly. If I get it wrong, I get squawked at. :laugh:

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
Kiwi does that too but I just don't trust her period. She scares me....:bag: For some reason I just can't read her. When I thought I could and she was acting perfectly fine all of a sudden she would latch on to my finger.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Outch! My guy hasn't bitten me yet since I've had him but he has bitten my bf a few times not very hard. He also bites my bf when he goes to pick him up sometimes. I know he prefures females more then males.

Birdlove

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My tiel does it and I think it's frustration. Sometimes she's on my shoulder while I'm washing something in the sink or even just my hands and she'll want to get in so she'll tap me with her beak hard, so I'll tell her to relax and ask if she wants a bath, step up, and in she goes. Other times she does it because she wants to be petted and I haven't noticed she's putting her little head down for me to scratch. Other times I can't figure out why.... :lol:So I'm guessing it's mostly frustration when they can't communicate what they need or want.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Both of my conures tap and I do believe it's a form of communication. Charlie will tap his beak on his cage bars (nice loud banging noise!), or other inanimate objects around the house. Jayde taps on her cage bars ("tink tink tink!") and on my shoulder. It hurts when she does it to my shoulder!

Sometimes I do tap back, and then we tap back and forth.

I think it can be a way to start forming a bond with some birds merely by mirroring their behavior. If they tap, tap back.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Yeah I kinda thought he was trying to communicate with me but I couldn't figure it out so he started to do that and I believe he started to hit his beak on the cage when we tryed to teach him head bob cause he did that for the first time I front of my bf and I. That and he doesn't quite like him to much. :lol: That's the main reason why I got him. The couple that had him wanted to trade him for another parrot that would hopefully bond with her husband who the bird was bought for. So we made a deal I had 4 cockatiels traded 2 for him and picked him up. I thought it was a steal deal. That and they didn't want a noisy bird witch he wasn't and the lady was prago so she was worried that the Senegal would bite the new born.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how funny!! sounds like a real comedian...I don't like the sounds of trading birds though...

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
That's great! And so cute! I'm of the other opinion to Anne, I'll the idea of 'trading birds' instead of selling as that way you have a better idea of the kind of condition they keep birds in and the birds get a home that suits them better :)

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
My one male tiel isn't a very good whistler, but he makes up for it by tapping! He'll tap on something, and I'll tap it right back at him. He loves it :)

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
That's great! And so cute! I'm of the other opinion to Anne, I'll the idea of 'trading birds' instead of selling as that way you have a better idea of the kind of condition they keep birds in and the birds get a home that suits them better :)
That's what I though. He was up for a while on kijiji so I've decide to trade plus there bird was well kept up with training, good overal feather. Mine where too. We still talk to see how our birds are doing. :heart:

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Oh and Heath forgot to add that in,

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I agree with Anne, I don't like the idea of trading birds. I feel like it cheapens the birds to a commodity, rather than a pet/family member.

Jesi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jesi
Well it's better then selling him because I see a lot of birds still on kijiji and they have bin up for 6-7 months. I feel so sorry for them but who knows some of the birds might find there forever homes some may not and go up on these sites every so often with here names changed and age so the old owners wouldn't know.

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
my bird does the tapping thing. I have a drum kit and he sits on the edge of the bass drum and taps it with his beak...its quite loud. he'll also do this on my djembe if im playing...hes a bit of musical instrument fan...alson the window sometimes.

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Our lories do the tap thing, the kids call it "pick axing".

They either want something or someone's attention or are super excited when they do it. :)

M-Star by far was the biggest pick axer and I could get her to do it on command. :)

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
Jam its funny you could get ur bird to do that on command! If Lucky can see me outside when he is inside hell tap on the window.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yeah I miss her so much :)

Pika is getting good at trying to do it but he more bobs his head nearly touching the ground but he also does this weird bum breathing noise through his nose and sounds like a pervert!!! :lol:

dallasd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dallas
My GCC Loki does it for head scratches and verbal attention. He also does it prior to strutting and beiing sassy.