• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Senegal loves pellets but refuses to eat green pellets.

TurkeyYum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anton S. Fide
When my bird is finished eating, he leaves a mound of green pellets which he refuses to eat.

Does anyone have thoughts about why?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have read many accounts of peoples birds having favourite colours, or colours they eat first before others.

If you have leftover pellets in the bowl at the end of the day and he doesn't eat them, you can bake them into bird bread or other bird treats.

You could also try weaning onto another pellet over time that doesn't have colours if there is something available where you are.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine leaves a different color every few months. Sometimes it's green, sometimes red, sometimes purple. No rhyme or reason!

TurkeyYum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anton S. Fide
I have read many accounts of peoples birds having favourite colours, or colours they eat first before others.

If you have leftover pellets in the bowl at the end of the day and he doesn't eat them, you can bake them into bird bread or other bird treats.

You could also try weaning onto another pellet over time that doesn't have colours if there is something available where you are.
I was going to give the green pellets to a friend. I can't see wasting them. Pellets here are expensive. I'm lucky he loves all kinds of fruits and vegetables. He loves carrots. He plays with corn on the cob. He's not shy. When he sees someone eating, he tries to steal it. Always.

I'm giving him Zupreem. But I can give him no pellets and just veggies. He rejects only a few foods.

Carrots are a LOT cheaper than pellets.

TurkeyYum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anton S. Fide
Mine leaves a different color every few months. Sometimes it's green, sometimes red, sometimes purple. No rhyme or reason!
So far, he is consistently ignoring green. Green vegetables are ok.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I suppose you could pick them out and give them to a friend. But that it a tedious task sitting and picking green pellets out of a kilo of food.

He is your only bird? No other birds you can feed them to?

Like I said, you can bake muffins or bird bread and he might eat them that way.

TurkeyYum

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anton S. Fide
I suppose you could pick them out and give them to a friend. But that it a tedious task sitting and picking green pellets out of a kilo of food.

He is your only bird? No other birds you can feed them to?

Like I said, you can bake muffins or bird bread and he might eat them that way.

It's not tedious at all. He leaves only green.

He is for now my only parrot.

I have had many over the last 40 years. African Grey, Blue Front Amazon, Senegal, Green Conure, Sun Conure. My conure was a loud one but only when caged. I eventually made the Grey Cage top his home and he stayed there 24 hours.

I live in a condo where there are not supposed to be pets. I got this Senegal based on my Senegal from years ago who was very quiet. Gyoza is not quiet. I probably would have been better getting a grey.

Did I mention Gyoza talks? He talks a lot but not with the clarity of an CAG

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My cockatoo prefers the yellow (Zupreem fruit blend), absolutely won't touch the orange ones. I've started putting the leftovers outside for the squirrels and wild birds :roflmao:

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Birds seem to have pellet color preferences in my experience. My cockatiel doesn't eat the yellow pellets for some reason! I think it could be due to the shapes of certain pellet colors: the yellow ones my bird doesn't like are skinny and long like grains of rice, so maybe they are harder to eat, or less satisfying to eat. Overall I think it's just a bird being picky lol.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
shapes of certain pellet colors: the yellow ones my bird doesn't like are skinny and long like grains of rice
What happens when you lightly bash them? It would change the shape into crumbles or small pieces.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Mine never eat the yellow ones. Weirdos!

It's harder to provide nutritional complete diet with just fresh stuff. If you are interested in going thdt way , Pamela Clark has good chop recipes. And looking into eclectus, eclectus breeder sites can have good diet plans as eclectus can have issues with pellets

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
My flock all had color preferences with Zupreem fruit blend and it drove me nuts because I felt like I was throwing away half of everything. I have successfully switched them all over to Zupreem Natural, and there's soooooo much less waste.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
You could try slowly introducing your bird to Zupreem pellets without color. We just switched all our birds to Zupreem Natrual.