• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My senegal has potty trained himself!

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
My rescue senegal, Pigeon, has seemingly decided I'm worthy of not pooping on!
I haven't encouraged this behaviour, particularly since it seems rather controversial in terms of birdy health, but he seems to choose to fly off me or wait until I place him on one of his stands.
I am rather pleased with this development all the same :)
In other news, he hates being sprayed and he's only choosing to have a bath about once a week. Is this okay? I'm offering various types of water bowls, in various places /temperatures (all fairly tepid, obviously!) etc, but he's resistant. Any ideas? :)
Soggy Pigeon:

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you tried taking your bird in the bathroom when you are in the shower? You can try this a few times and just let him see and hear what you are doing without taking him directly in the shower. Shower perches can be purchased that are good for this. You can also have a perch in the bathroom, possibly suction type on the mirror so he will get used to being or even flying into the bathroom. Its a slow process to get some birds used to water.

A bird that will only drop waste in one place is not a good habbit. Holding his waste inside can lead to bowel issues.

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Thanks again for the advice Lady Jane!
I have not encouraged him to only poop on his stands. He was going anywhere up until a few weeks ago. I was assuming maybe he just decided he preferred me clean! I'm not sure how to stop him, as I haven't changed my approach with him. He gets no praise or treats for it or anything like that.
The shower perch is a great idea, thanks! I'll buy one ASAP. Thank you! :)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Linnies are notorious for loving baths and Gigi is no exception, but the water has to be pretty warm, almost hot, like my own shower, for her to really enjoy it. Summer and winter, tepid doesn't suit her at all. She hops on her little standing perch and I spray the water lightly from above. She moves all around to get completely drenched. Maybe try warmer water?

Awesome that you aren't being pooped on lately. :)

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Thanks Dona!
The water in my spray bottle has been pretty warm, as it cools considerably on being sprayed. But I've been nervous about giving him access to water that's too hot in case I injure him. By the sounds of it I am being overcautious! Thanks for the advice :)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Dona!
The water in my spray bottle has been pretty warm, as it cools considerably on being sprayed. But I've been nervous about giving him access to water that's too hot in case I injure him. By the sounds of it I am being overcautious! Thanks for the advice :)
The sprayer has a little cool water from the last bath, so I squirt into the sink before attaching it to the bottle of warmer water. I use very warm water, but it's comfortable on my hand, so I don't want you to think I'm using hot hot!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I believe some birds like water more than others. My female budgie loves to be in a spray of warm water and her friend, a male, just stood in the spray next to her but did not like it as much. Interesting subject to explore. Why one bird likes water and one could care less about water.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I use cool- cold water for my birds. Them seem a bit weirded out by warm water. They hop right into cold water and splash around. Pi showers on a playstand in the shower and my parrotlets hop in terracotta dishes. I personally don't shower with my bird since I use soaps and products I would rather they don't get exposed to.

I do stand in the shower with Pi. I hold my hands together and he lays his head into my hands to get a dunk. It is very cute!

My parrots don't seem to poop on me either. Very rarely...I think Pi has 4 times in his life. They usually fly to their playstand. I didn't train them either. They know when they need to go..and they willing decide not to poop on their person. Pi does poop on my partner...which is hilarious. Pi has little regard for the other human. He is a friendly bird, he is just more interested in me. :)

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
You're all so lovely and helpful. Thank you! :) I'll keep mixing it up with his water and pay attention to what he likes. It's lovely how different our birds personalities are.