• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My second adopted Cockatiel..very fierce!

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,

Happy New Year to everyone here!

This is my second cockatiel and I just got it 3 days ago. It is about 1+ year old and I named him "Robin".
If I am correct, this is a male White Faced Pied Cockatiel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is extremely untamed. I thought he could be as friendly as my 1st Cockatiel, Pearlie but I am wrong.
He bites and bleed my palm on day 1. So I have to leave him alone in the cage. Unlike Pearlie, Robin only started eating today.

I hope he can be tamed given patience and lots of TLC.

Regards,

Attachments

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all,

This is my second cockatiel and I just got it 3 days ago. It is about 1+ year old and I named him "Robin".
If I am correct, this is a male White Faced Pied Cockatiel. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is extremely untamed. I thought he could be as friendly as my 1st Cockatiel, Pearlie but I am wrong.
He bites and bleed my palm on day 1. So I have to leave him alone in the cage. Unlike Pearlie, Robin only started eating today.

Regards,
What a cutie! Welcome Robin!

You are right to leave him and let him take everything in :) Sometimes new birds won't eat in front of us, he might have eaten something when you weren't watching.

I look forward to seeing more of the little guy :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's beautiful. Definitely white face. I can't tell from the pic if pied too. I never leave my new birds completely alone but spend time just sitting with them. It sounds silly but even just reading to them. It gets them used to your presence and voice in a nonthreatening way. You can also play some music as silence during the day is often scary for them.

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
What a cutie! Welcome Robin!

You are right to leave him and let him take everything in :) Sometimes new birds won't eat in front of us, he might have eaten something when you weren't watching.

I look forward to seeing more of the little guy :)
Hi there,

Robin is calmed today and managed to open the cage and taken some shots:

Please feel free to comment.

Thank you.

Regards,

Attachments

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
He's beautiful. Definitely white face. I can't tell from the pic if pied too. I never leave my new birds completely alone but spend time just sitting with them. It sounds silly but even just reading to them. It gets them used to your presence and voice in a nonthreatening way. You can also play some music as silence during the day is often scary for them.
Hi there,

Thank you very much for the advice.
He starts to move around a little in the cage but is extremely silent.

Regards,

budgieluv3

Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Welcome robin! Adorable!

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi there,

After seeing more examples of the white faced cockatiel in the web, I think Robin is just an ordinary white faced cockatiel.
Nothing bad or disappointing about that, Robin still looks great to me!

Thank you all.

Regards,

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Gorgeous bird

I too today got a 12 weeks White faced pied untamed too. I think mine is a boy since it was chirping and whistling a lot. I manage to get him out of the cage and he let me scratch his head and he eats but he has bitten me a few times so I have a finger and arm bleeding a bit. I was thinking of clipping his wings so I have more control over him. I already did one side but do I have to do both wings?

Last edited:

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Gorgeous bird

I too today got a 12 weeks White faced pied untamed too. I think mine is a boy since it was chirping and whistling a lot. I manage to get him out of the cage and he let me scratch his head and he eats but he has bitten me a few times so I have a finger and arm bleeding a bit. I was thinking of clipping his wings so I have more control over him. I already did one side but do I have to do both wings?
Hi there,

Its really up to you. I would say clip both sides to balance the flight.

My Robin is 1+ years old so it will be more challenging to tame, I supposed. Good luck to me ;).

Regards,

Pearly

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,

Just an update here.
Robin has gone to my long-time neighbor. He was amused with my new found hobby and also took fancy of Robin.
I am sure Robin will be in good hands.

Goodbye Robin.:greet13:

Regards,

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I was thinking of clipping his wings so I have more control over him. I already did one side but do I have to do both wings?
You do not “control” a bird, you gain his trust. Clipping will just lower his confidence. Clipping does not make a tame bird, it makes a submissive bird. A bird that doesn’t have enough confidence. A scared bird. An unhealthy bird.

Birds have wings for a reason.

WalnutKing

Moving in
Real Name
Amy
Hi all,

Regards,
:bubbles:OMG WHAT A CUTIEEE