• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My ringneck

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Regardless of the argument whether he flies in his cage not. A bird of this size shouldn't exactly fly in his cage in my opinion. If he can, it surely indicates the cage is way too empty and needs extra toys and perches. My ringneck absolutely loves to climb around so I gave him extra tools to do so.

I would say get a cage at least this big:

It's similar to my cage and my bird doesn't even enter the bottom half most the time.
What you have now should be used as a travel cage!

As said in here before, I would give him the best out of cage experience he can get with lots of toys, extra perches on top and around the cage. Maybe get him a spot by the window? Mine will fly to the moon and back to get a window seat!
Got the cage guys I'm gonna set it up today and will post some pics of it. I'm gonna have to order lots more toys and perches to fill it up but will be leaving space in it.

Last edited:

Mantis64

What would be the best way to get him into his new cage. He is very attached to his old cage like a lot.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
Maybe just open the doors and put the cages together. I'm sure he'll be relieved he can explore a much bigger cage. Maybe put some of his favourite treats and toys in the new cage?

Mantis64

Maybe just open the doors and put the cages together. I'm sure he'll be relieved he can explore a much bigger cage. Maybe put some of his favourite treats and toys in the new cage?
Thank for the continued advice cant wait to see his reaction.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ll have to check the pics tomorrow. It’s getting late here.
Can’t wait to see it.

Mantis64

Cage is assembled just gonna get more things like perches and toys and I will take some pictures when it's not empty.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren

Mantis64

Guys I feel a bit paranoid theres nothing sticking it to the stand at the back there are these things sticking up to stop it sliding off but not the front. Cages dont just slide off stands do they.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Are you sure there’s not a little bit on each side to hold it in place?
My budgie cage has little metal tags poking up on the inside of the stand to stop the cage sliding back and forwards and that is the only thing keeping the cage on the stand.

Mantis64

Are you sure there’s not a little bit on each side to hold it in place?
My budgie cage has little metal tags poking up on the inside of the stand to stop the cage sliding back and forwards and that is the only thing keeping the cage on the stand.
Yes it does thanks.

Mantis64

Does it matter if the water and food bowl arent at the same level the water bowl is bigger and doesn't fit where the food bowl can fit its lower down.

Also he has these small doors at the top they are feeder doors I believe and I opened it and he put the back of one of his feet thier and I tried to shut it very slowly and when I realized I stopped. If i hurt him he would have screamed or not be walking around with both feet right. Thanks will be posting pics later.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Does it matter if the water and food bowl arent at the same level the water bowl is bigger and doesn't fit where the food bowl can fit its lower down.
No, although if one us right at the top and the other right at the bottom then it wouldn't be ideal. What you describe sounds like a few cms.