• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My ringneck

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thankyou Keila

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't think the cage @Zara linked to be deep enough either. It's not even deep enough for tiels really so there's no way a ringneck would be able to fly safely.
I emphasise safely because while a bird may be able to open it's wings fully in a cage that doesn't mean it can avoid hitting the sides while flying, damaging and possibly breaking a wing. A fairly large margin must be left for safety.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good to know Linden! :) I can only see the online measurements, which were 2 inches too narrow.

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Good to know Linden! :) I can only see the online measurements, which were 2 inches too narrow.
I know it's so sad that's the biggest cage the guy sells in his shop anything bigger than a ringneck he recommends this cage for.

Reactions: Ali

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
There are plenty of suitable cages on Northernparrots and Scarletts. Ordering one online is just as good as getting one in the shop, actually better, because it gets delivered too.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly, I'm shocked that his cage is so small. Those dimensions barely allow him to stretch his wings, let alone give you scope to add in toys, a choice of perches and other enrichment. There's no way that he can fly in there. What you're seeing are wing-assisted hops - the bird is using their wings for a boost, but it's nowhere close to flying. Leia does this to move between perches or from the floor to a perch. It's nowhere close to her actual wingbeats when flying.

I would say that you need to get Cosmo a bigger cage as a matter of urgency.

This one is expensive but has better dimensions: Montana Paradiso 150 Indoor Aviary

However, if you're willing to spend that sort of money, I would recommend looking into a custom cage. My 100x80cm/40x30" cage was £240 in 2016. You can get a lot of bang for your buck.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
Regardless of the argument whether he flies in his cage not. A bird of this size shouldn't exactly fly in his cage in my opinion. If he can, it surely indicates the cage is way too empty and needs extra toys and perches. My ringneck absolutely loves to climb around so I gave him extra tools to do so.

I would say get a cage at least this big:

It's similar to my cage and my bird doesn't even enter the bottom half most the time.
What you have now should be used as a travel cage!

As said in here before, I would give him the best out of cage experience he can get with lots of toys, extra perches on top and around the cage. Maybe get him a spot by the window? Mine will fly to the moon and back to get a window seat!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Did I just speak to you on another thread about sleep cages and how your bird isn't playing etc? Sorry, I can't find it in my history but I recall that being a ringneck and that you had only recently got your bird?

Mantis64

Did I just speak to you on another thread about sleep cages and how your bird isn't playing etc? Sorry, I can't find it in my history but I recall that being a ringneck and that you had only recently got your bird?
That's not me, it must be someone else.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
That was me actually!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Which cage did you order¿?

Mantis64

Regardless of the argument whether he flies in his cage not. A bird of this size shouldn't exactly fly in his cage in my opinion. If he can, it surely indicates the cage is way too empty and needs extra toys and perches. My ringneck absolutely loves to climb around so I gave him extra tools to do so.

It's similar to my cage and my bird doesn't even enter the bottom half most the time.

As said in here before, I would give him the best out of cage experience he can get with lots of toys, extra perches on top and around the cage. Maybe get him a spot by the window? Mine will fly to the moon and back to get a window seat!
I would use it as a travel cafe but it covers two of the back seats in our car and our car is big.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would use it as a travel cafe but
You could use it for a sleep cage.

My friend has the same cage as you, it was her lovebirds travel cage and was a pain to get in the car door.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
Guys ordered a good size cage. It will come in the coming days.
Great news! Show us the result when your bird is in there. I'm sure his behaviour will change for the better and he'll be very excited to explore his new home

Mantis64

Would 2mm bar spacing be strong enough for a ringnecks beak.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
2mm bar spacing?

If you mean the diameter of the bars, that should be okay.
The spacing, however, should be about half an inch, you can go over a tiny bit like 5/8th of an inch but not much more