• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My ringneck

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
How many hours a day should a captive bird fly. Right now my bird is in a cage which he can fly in but not ver much. Also when I keep him out usually 4-6 hours a day he rarely fly he know how to because when he gets startled or scared he flys but he doesnt really fly because he wants to.
It this normal and if he doesn't fly will that affect his health.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Some captive birds choose not to fly as much as they could.
You can encourage flight by putting Cosmo on a stand and calling him to the other side of the room while holding out a fave treat or toy.

Mantis64

Some captive birds choose not to fly as much as they could.
You can encourage flight by putting Cosmo on a stand and calling him to the other side of the room while holding out a fave treat or toy.
He doesnt like leaving the comfort of his cage even when I do manage to get him off his cage onto a step up stick he flies straight back to the cage. Not sure why I'm guessing he just feels safe by his cage.

Reactions: Ali

Mantis64

@Zara cosmo is currently in this cage. There is a tiny part that the white paint/coating has been damaged and I'm 100% sure it was like that when I bought it from the store but I only realised quite a while later. Would it be safe to use my bird has never shown any interest in chewing it and the other version is black so I'm pretty sure it's the same material underneath not to sure though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Mantis when you say your bird can fly in his cage- are you meaning the rainforest Santa Monica cage is the one he is flying in?

Mantis64

Mantis when you say your bird can fly in his cage- are you meaning the rainforest Santa Monica cage is the one he is flying in?
Yes, like if hes climbing on one side he flies to his perch and sometimes from the floor to the bottom perch. It doesn't last more then 5 seconds and it's mainly when he is scared otherwise he just climbs it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Maybe I’m picturing the wrong kind of set up but I don’t believe that cage you pictured could be big enough for your bird to actually fly - flutter maybe. If I’m right about the size then I think one of your first priorities is to work on getting your bird out of there more and actually moving about. If that cage you linked and it’s measurements are correct that cage is less than half the size of my budgie cage and I don’t feel that my budgie can fly as much as I’d like him to. I really can’t see how a bird bigger than a budgie could actually fly in there- maybe I’m picturing ring necks much larger than they are but I don’t think so.
I’m mainly concerned because you mention he doesn’t come out much.

Mantis64

Maybe I’m picturing the wrong kind of set up but I don’t believe that cage you pictured could be big enough for your bird to actually fly - flutter maybe. If I’m right about the size then I think one of your first priorities is to work on getting your bird out of there more and actually moving about. If that cage you linked and it’s measurements are correct that cage is less than half the size of my budgie cage and I don’t feel that my budgie can fly as much as I’d like him to. I really can’t see how a bird bigger than a budgie could actually fly in there- maybe I’m picturing ring necks much larger than they are but I don’t think so.
I’m mainly concerned because you mention he doesn’t come out much.
Ringnecks have large tails but are not much bigger than conures in body size I am getting my bird a bigger cage this week I hope. Just trying to find the right cage still.

Mantis64

Also the way I have positioned the perches means he can fly back and forward between them even though he climbs more. I know it's not a big cage and I am getting him a bigger cage as soon as I can. In the UK it's very difficult to find flight cages and majority of the cages that are sold are too small for birds to properly fly in.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
majority of the cages that are sold are too small for birds to properly fly in.
There is no cage that your bird will be able to fly in that is not an avaiary. Even ¨flight¨ cages, all they can do is a glorified hop inside.

olivierr1

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivier
I would also highly recommend getting a bigger cage asap. Even if he is out a lot.
My ringneck has a cage 8 times that size and I still think it's too small. They are very aware of their long tail and their behaviour drastically changes in a small cage.
As Zara said, unless you get an aviary your ringneck will never fly in a cage, they're just too small, and ringnecks have large wingspans. My ringneck can hop ridiculous distances, he has never even thought about flying in the cage!

There's plenty good cage sizes in the UK (I'm from the UK)
Try shops like, petexpress, scarlotteparrotessentials.

I'm sure he'll eventually fly if he wants to, maybe he's just not ready! Maybe his surroundings are still unsure to him.

Would love to see cage update pics!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK so you need to help Cosmo want to fly around. Here are some ideas, and I have not kept up with everything you are doing so you might have heard some of this already.
-hang toys around your room. (If no one wants a bunch of holes in the ceiling, I hung one long piece of wood and put hooks across it - then hung the toys from the hooks)
- hold millet or his favorite treat and ask him to fly to you. You might have to start out by standing fairly close, and work your way out.
-create a play area with say a big bowl full of interesting toys and some treats in the bottom and play there yourself. He's going to get curious!
-put a perch on the outside of the cage so he feels okay coming out and going back in.
-fasten several cages together. I used 2 XL Prevue Hendryx cages and zip tied them together to create a 7 foot long cage for my finches. Your bird is of course bigger, you could still benefit from that or use more cages. Make sure the kind you get has removeable sides before you purchase.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great tips by Finchly - love the toys hanging off wood idea!

Have you seen this cage? You can remove the divider in the middle and have one large cage. The depth is 2inches too small really, but with such large width, this cage may be a good fit.. @Ripshod What do you think?

edit; forgot to paste the link! :facepalm:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A ringneck has a wingspan of 19"/48 cm... How is he flying in a cage that is 43x44

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
In the cage you posted, it is not possible for him to fly nor open his wings fully.

It could actually be why he does not fly out of the cage... When the cage is too small to allow good movement your bird loses muscle and ability to fly.... there´s a word for it.. but I can´t quite think what it is

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
In the cage you posted, it is not possible for him to fly nor open his wings fully.

It could actually be why he does not fly out of the cage... When the cage is too small to allow good movement your bird loses muscle and ability to fly.... there´s a word for it.. but I can´t quite think what it is
I think you’re looking for “atrophy”

Mantis64

It's strange because he does occasionally open his wings fully in it.