• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My ringneck seems to be plucking

nspiro

Moving in
Real Name
Nikola Petrović
Hi, about a month ago I bought my first ever bird, an indian ringneck, his owners had to sell him as they couldn't spend enough time with him and their neighbors would occasionally complain about the noise.

Fast foward to now, he lost so many feathers, we provided him with food, attention and even let him out of his cage every day for an hour or two. We thought he might be molting but to be sure we took him to the vet. Vet said that she isn't really sure what might be the cause as there are many things, but molting was one of the options.

Today, when I took a good look at him, I noticed that he is missing even more feathers, and when taking a bath, area above his beak turns orange.

IMG_20220818_152604__01.jpg

I am not sure what is happening, the drops vet gave us to calm him down didn't change much and I am running out of ideas, I am very worried so I was hoping you guys would know more as this is my first ever bird and this makes me feel like I failed at taking care of him.

He is an Indian ringneck, male, about 4 years old with 2 previous owners.

Thank you ♥

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

Did the vet run any tests?

nspiro

Moving in
Real Name
Nikola Petrović
Hello,

Did the vet run any tests?
No, she only asked us if previous owners knew when it's his molting time. She gave us some drops to put into his water to calm him down and told us not to mix it with his molting vitamins.

nspiro

Moving in
Real Name
Nikola Petrović
I failed to mention that it happens in front of me too, we would play and then he would randomly start bitting his feathers, it looks like he has mites he is trying to rid of or something. It's a constant thing, I don't know how it works but I don't think he would go out of his way to do it when he's having fun. Hope this helps.