• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Ringneck keeps attacking my hands

Adam37

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
So kiko is 9 months old now and has been with us since he (still not sure its a he) was 2.5 months old
His personality started to show he already has a favorite person which unfortunately isnt me, anyway recently he started attacking my hand for no reason at all. I will be sitting on the couch while he explores and plays around and then he would come running just to bite my hand really hard to the point of bleeding. I have no idea why he started biting as i try to avoid any biting situation and i try not agitate him and i also dont know how to stop him from doing so. He sits on my shoulders just fine, loves kisses, and pets. But the moment he sees my hand he gets angry and bitey
Any tips? Or resources?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hello Adam,
I am sorry you are having struggles with Kiko. My first though is that petting may be something worth stopping. It is important to remember that touch can mean very different things for birds, and usually excessive "petting" is a courtship behaviour. Psittacula broadly do not allopreen (meaning they do not require a friend to help with pins). So touch may be stimulating in ways Kiko doesn't share with you. I think being a little more hands off may help you find a better vibe with Kiko. You can use your hands to reward treats and step up, but reduce other hand interactions. I also suggest that you keep your hands low. They way you explain it, I get the impression Kiko is running toward you hand despite height, but if a hand is moving from overhead downward it can be rather upsetting to Kiko. Try your best to keep your hands lower and always move from below the feet upward and not from above the head downward if that makes sense. This is more of a tip to work toward reestablishing trust. You want Kiko to know you respect their space and you won't reach at them.

You may find this link interesting:

Adam37

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
Thank you for the advice ill try to work on that, unfortunately in all of the occasions that he attacked my hand in it was just resting on the couch but since then ive bee trying the hands off approach and its been getting better. taking treats from my hand has been tricky as it turned out to be one of the reasons that starts the biting but im trying to find the best way possible
Thank you again!!

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for the advice ill try to work on that, unfortunately in all of the occasions that he attacked my hand in it was just resting on the couch but since then ive bee trying the hands off approach and its been getting better. taking treats from my hand has been tricky as it turned out to be one of the reasons that starts the biting but im trying to find the best way possible
Thank you again!!
Try offering treats on a spoon you can treat Kiko then but at a distance.

Adam37

Moving in
Real Name
Adam
Thats an awesome idea !! He sometimes takes it from my hand normally and sometimes he charges at my hand and bites aggressively. I‘ll definitely try a spoon thanks!!!