• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

my ringneck behavior during hormonal season

Jet17

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joann
Hello everyone maybe someone could give me some advice on my situation I have a a 7 year old ringneck parrot right now he s going through some hormonal issue thats making it hard. He is in love with my feet and everytime i put him back on his perch he will squawk until he finds a way down. He s not use to being in the cage except at night to sleep so forget that if i put him in his cage he will really scream I've been putting him to sleep earlier to shorten his daylight hours This will go on most of day He will follow me all over the house. I know this is fustrating for him but its also hard on me Does anyone else have similar problem? I would appreciate any feedback Thank you

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Have you tried wearing different shoes/slippers even novelty slippers to disguise your feet? Is it moving feet that attracts him? If he follows you what does he do if you stop walking and freeze?

You could try distracting him by doing something off the floor like target training with him, ie. hopefully making another behaviour more reinforcing than following feet (with target training he could be earning favourite treats!):

Bobbie (Red-lored Amazon) sometimes follows my feet - she used to attack them (I worked on desensitizing her to them), but if she starts following - even slightly, I will distract her by throwing a favourite ball along the floor (whilst I keep still) and she runs after the ball instead. Usually animals/people are attracted by something moving. I'll give her lots of attention for attacking the ball (more reinforcement!), then I'll slowly walk away whilst she's occupied.