• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My reef

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Wow that an awesome tank! What kind of fish/other marine animals do you have in there? I want a salt water tank but they seem to high-maintenance :( but yours is gorgeous!!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Beautiful! The blue light really adds to the affect. It feels like the ocean!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow that an awesome tank! What kind of fish/other marine animals do you have in there? I want a salt water tank but they seem to high-maintenance :( but yours is gorgeous!!
A pair of spawning clownfish 4 bubble tip anemone's a crispa anemone a dwarf angelfish a lot of soft coral various snails,crabs and shrimps a few brittle starfish

KevinC

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kevin N. Carpenter
I'm guessing that is around 200 gallons?

I recently ended my 30+ year association with reef aquariums. I started with a 135 gallon in the early 80s, back when "coral" was taken out and bleached monthly to make it look "good". Eventually built a 720 gallon real reef aquarium complete with a trip down to the Florida keys with a licensed collector to gather live rock off the rubble zones in federal waters. That one leaked a bit... so tore it down and built a 2000 gallon tank instead that didn't leak for over 10 years. Moved and built a 5000 gallon one (12' x 16' x 4'). (Zilla 1, 2, and 3) Went to a ton of MACNAs and a few semi-scientific conferences. Knew a bunch of the early pioneers: Bruce Carlson, Martin Moe, Alf Nielson, and many others.

If I had to do it again, I would have gone from the 135 to a 200 and held there.

No place for a saltwater aquarium where I live now in rural Missouri - about 100 miles from the nearest saltwater shop (at least I presume that town has one).

Yours is looking great! Keep up the good work.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
So beautiful! :starshower1: