• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My rat story

Status
Not open for further replies.

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I can't believe I missed Crystal's post about her finally catching her son's pet rats! (had to search to find an update) SO glad that's over for you Crystal.

Hey, it's 5:30 a.m here on Sunday morning, and everyone's still asleep. What better time to share MY rat story?

Okay, so many moons ago when I was single, I moved into a converted one-car garage in southern California with my 2 pugs. After having major roommate issues, this was heaven!...or so I thought.
The place had a fenced in large yard/patio, and I put in a doggy door so my dogs could go in and out as they pleased. It was a pretty nice set up...or so I thought.

One night, I am sound asleep (my two pugs on my bed) until I sat up boltright and instantly spot this HUGE rat in the corner of the room. (This is the moment I understood that our sub-consciousness never sleeps. I must have felt its presence, even in my sleep...because I wake up immediately and our eyes met....even in the dark!)

I panic!

The pugs have no clue what is going on...completely useless as varmit catchers. I grab them and bolt out the door...to my friend's house in the middle of the night.

He comes over with a piece of CHEESE and a SHOEBOX. (goodness) I am too scared to go inside. I hear a scream.(from a grown man!) He was holding a broom. He said it shot up his leg, and then ran off, and he saw it go under the doorway, which was closed. He said it FLATTENED HIMSELF to an inch to get through. (can you imagine?!?!?)

I am a TOTAL WRECK...on the verge of a nervous breakdown. I find rat poop on my kitchen counters,and it has been eating the dogfood. :eek:

The landlord brings me a tiny mouse trap...geez. He didn't believe me that this was a full-fledged, HUGE rat, bigger than my foot!

I am too terrified to sleep in my room, so I sleep in the main living room (if you can call it that in a converted garage) on the pull out sofa. GUESS WHERE THIS BOOGER SLEEPS! (I only find this out when one day weeks later, I opened the pull out sofa and it is all ripped up and full of rat turds) I was sleeping on his hideout!:eek::eek:

Finally, the nightmare is over. The landlord rigs a bona fide rat trap, and catches it with peanut butter. It is SO huge that he was about 10 times as big as the trap (well, maybe 3 times).

I pack my bags and move again.The trauma of it was just too much.

The garage was next to a field of IVY. I learned that rats make their homes inside ivy. And this one rat came through that doggy door, and just about terrorized me. I'm sorry I had to kill you.

So that's my rat story, and how my rat-phobia began.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Ickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkohmygod i dont blame you that just made me shiver all over ickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Goosebumps all over me!!!! Thank goodness no one was bitten. I can't believe you slept on his hide out and didn't know it. Ahh! So glad you moved out!

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Goosebumps all over me!!!! Thank goodness no one was bitten. I can't believe you slept on his hide out and didn't know it. Ahh! So glad you moved out!
Tell me about it! Here I was scared to death to be in my room because of this creature, and essentially, I was sleeping with it! :omg: Who knows...it could have been crawling on me on that sofa!!!!:eek:

Annie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annie
OMG!!!! :omg: I would have done the same thing..
when we first moved into our house, we found rat (or mice) droppings in the garage and inside my husband's boot, we would also see newspaper shreddings.. they were making a nice comfy home out of it. luckily though, we never saw them and they haven't seem to come back again.

We had a mice problem in our office building too and I would see droppings on my desk and underneath the phone. And I wonder how on earth does this thing get inside with the door closed!!!!! yes they do flatten themselves and I am amazed....and disgusted! yuck!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
:rofl: I understand that that is a very scary experience, I'm not laughing at you, I'm just laughing because my sister and I had hamsters as kids, and at least a couple times a week I would wake up with one in my hand because I grabbed her as she ran across my body. I always worried if I grabbed a mouse or rat rather than one of our escaped pet hamsters in my sleep. I agree that the subconscious is always watching.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:omg: I'm reading this at bedtime :eek::eek::eek:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:eek: :eek: :eek: :hehe:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Monica, I am sure that it was not funny at all at the time, but the way you told the story made me laugh until I am crying! :lol:

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
ooohhh that would be awful to live in an infested place with rats that aren't tame. We have 2 pet rats and our male is sooo sweet. he actually cuddles, but I would hate to be in the same place if I didn't know he wasn't tame. he is HUGE!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Status
Not open for further replies.