• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Question About Bottled Water?

nhighnote4

Hit the Road
Real Name
Makr
Is it possible to get bottled water instead of using the city's water system? Because lories are susceptible to ISD, I reasoned that bottled water would be better for Darby. I have no idea what minerals or metals are in my water because I haven't gotten it tested. The man I'm seeing works at a pet store, so he can buy RO water for me. Is it something I should do? What if it's not a problem?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can use bottled water, there are plenty of people that do. However, RO or distilled water is not recommended. RO water is lower pH and can cause health issues over time. There are also trace minerals in water that are beneficial.

If your tap water runs clear, there is very little chance of your bird getting iron storage disease from it. When iron is in the water, it turns reddish brown. It also stains your sinks and tubs.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We're on well water that is high iron. We have several units in place to remove it, however "Clear Water Iron" can never be fully removed. It will turn orange when heated. We give our water to our birds & they have no issues. Put some of your cold water in a white cup & heat it in the microve to boiling. If it turns orange then you have clear water iron". Unless you have units installed to remove the iron I would not give it to your birds. Use bottled water instead.