• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My pets' health will be the death of me

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Morgan's stressing me out again. This time it's an issue with her skin.

The skin of her ears has turned black, and scaly around the edges, she has blackheads all over her back half, she's always itchy, and she has dandruff.

I'm hoping it's just allergies, but she has other symptoms that lead me to think that she has Cushing's disease or demodectic mange. She had mange (and parvo) as a puppy, which suppressed her immune system pretty badly.

Why can't my babies just be healthyyyyyy

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that she is feeling better.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I feel you! Hoping your pup gets better.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awww poor baby :( Skin issues can be so hard to deal with. A friend's dog had a severe skin problems. I forget what it was but the dog lost most of his hair on his back half. They found a spray with tea tree oil that helped. Another friend's dog was allergic to flea saliva. I think sand fleas or something, whatever they were they were hard to treat with typical fleas treatments. Their dog had to have oatmeal bathes practically every day. I hope your able to figure it out. Its horrible when you fids or fur babies are unwell. Feel better Morgan :sadhug2:

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@hrafn when I get home tomorrow I will post the name of Cricket's shampoo that finally worked. We have battled skin issues for 18 months. Also I used advice from Home Page (she has a FB group) and she suggests that the skin problems are allergies. I did research - most dogs are allergic to beef and chicken so we're feeding salmon, buffalo, whatever is "not" the normal stuff. Her Yeasty Beasty (bottom of this page) is wonderful if the dog has yeast; you'll have to get a skin scraping to find out.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You have a pup that survived parvo as a pup? Wow! That's huge. Did she end up with any residual neurological issues? I'm asking because 2 pups from a rescue that I volunteer for either have, or had parvo. One is on meds to control seizures, and the other is still battling for her life. The one that survived this horrible incurable virus has tremors whenever she relaxes or sleeps.

I never thought to use essential oils for skin issues.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You have a pup that survived parvo as a pup? Wow! That's huge. Did she end up with any residual neurological issues? I'm asking because 2 pups from a rescue that I volunteer for either have, or had parvo. One is on meds to control seizures, and the other is still battling for her life. The one that survived this horrible incurable virus has tremors whenever she relaxes or sleeps.

I never thought to use essential oils for skin issues.
So far, the long-term effects of surviving parvo for her have been a compromised immune system, damage to her gastrointestinal system that affects her ability to absorb nutrients and keep on weight, and mild heart issues. Her parvo was extremely advanced before she got to the shelter and was put trough treatment, so it damaged her body to a much higher degree than it normally would for a parvo puppy. Her vet said that parvo caught early usually has no long-term issues for those who survive, so she was just unlucky to have had it progress so far. No neurological issues, though!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I never thought to use essential oils for skin issues
With the usual caveats of course. I have been blending it myself lately, as I have all the oils and I can adjust what helps or doesn’t.
For an itchy dog lavender oil (diluted!!! Never neat) in a little coconut oil at least offers relief.