• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My pet carnivorous plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
Well technically they are pets to me cuz I gotta provide them water and food xD

Well anyway, yesterday I went out to Lowes and bought a dying Sundew that was on clearance for $4.49 (normally $9.97), and a healthy small Venus Fly Trap that was at normal price at $4.97. I also went to Petco on the same day to buy them a jar of live flightless fruit flies.

Today I gave my sundew a haircut, cuz it had several brown dead leaves. I also ordered a portion of pure perlite off of ebay for repotting.

Waiting for a 10% off Lowes coupon, so I can save a couple bucks when I go back to get a butterwort, yellow pitcher, and purple pitcher.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
interesting, the only one I have ever heard of is the venus fly trap

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Well, this is very interesting! :D

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
that is awesome- great pictures too

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
Beautiful Carnivorous Plants for Sale. No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense. For both of you ;)

They're pretty little plants that you've got :) I've got a cape sundew and a pitcher plant(always forget what kind. . . I want to say ventricosa? something like that!) Are they okay with the fruit flies? I'd never even thought of trying that with my two.
Are you Gilraen from UB? :)

Anyways, they enjoyed the fruit flies! I got so excited to feed everything in my apartment fruitflies that I missed the traps close :( The guppies and bettas enjoyed the fruit flies too. I feed them yesterday, and the fruit flies on the sundew are gooey mush now cuz i poked it with a toothpick.

I bought them a big sterilite container that I will somehow transform into a makeshift terrarium like habitat. I might buy them small crickets later, cuz I wanna poke some holes for ventilation in the lid and the lid isn't a tight fit, and those fruit flies are really good at scaling the walls (im not sure about cricket) and I don't want them invading my APT.

I think I will schedule to feed them a couple of flies once a week.

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
Well I'm sure if you find the right person. You just need to make sure the person is clear on the instructions like, only distilled/pure water and all that requirements.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Those are so cool!

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I'm trying to get one to grow. I had a 2-in one kit that was suppose to be a venus fly trap & pitcher - but I could only find one root in there - so I think I was ripped off. However - still put it all together and am now just waiting.

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica
I'm trying to get one to grow. I had a 2-in one kit that was suppose to be a venus fly trap & pitcher - but I could only find one root in there - so I think I was ripped off. However - still put it all together and am now just waiting.
Just a root, what happen to the other part of the plant? :omg:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very nice!:) I love unusual plants. I have not tried the carnivores. I love bonsai, and have some very old cool jades. I wasn't real good at small bonsais, and can't afford a nice old tree. I keep some orchids, and lots of succulents that are rare.

Yoshi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
Just a root, what happen to the other part of the plant? :omg:
This was a kit to grow them from dormant plants. The reason I got it is they had no actual venus fly traps growing - just the pitcher plants. I've grown other plants from dormant root stock before - in fact all my strawberry plants, raspberries, and asperagus I got like that. However, this is the first time I've tried carnivorous plants.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Are they safe for the birds to be around? We were actually talking about putting one inthe bird room to help with the fly problem the other day but didnt know if it was safe?

Eden Marel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erica

This was a kit to grow them from dormant plants. The reason I got it is they had no actual venus fly traps growing - just the pitcher plants. I've grown other plants from dormant root stock before - in fact all my strawberry plants, raspberries, and asperagus I got like that. However, this is the first time I've tried carnivorous plants.
Ahh, I had a feeing that it had to do with it being dormant. I've never had experience with dormant plants. When I got my first VFT last year I did not know anything about dormancy. But this year I will do things right, most of my CP need a dormancy period, I don't plan on leaving them outside, but doing something about sticking them in the fridge.

Are they safe for the birds to be around? We were actually talking about putting one inthe bird room to help with the fly problem the other day but didnt know if it was safe?
I'm not sure, as long as they don't chew it I think they should be fine. I'm not sure if a VFT will be an efficient way to take care of the flies. There is some maintenance needed with VFT, and each trap can only close 3-4 times before it dies.

Flies can be smart, the VFT secrets some sort of nectar in the trap which supposedly attracts bugs. But I have not seen my CPs beside my Yellow Trumpet catch anything naturally. I usually hand-feed them bugs, I feel bad, but this is how they get their nutrients because they can not be fertilized. My Yellow trumpet caught 3 ladybugs when I released some of the 2000.

And one of my VFT plants is so stupid, I held a small cricket in its trap and the trap wouldn't close on it even thought the cricket was squirmy. I guess the cricket was lucky enough to not touch the trigger hairs at all. -_- So I gave it to my other VFT that I had just given a cricket to, it gets two crickets because the other one didn't want to eat.

Here is a pic of one of the three ladybug inside the Yellow Trumpet. The other two are below it, I shined a bright light thru it at night and counted three dark spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.