• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Pedro..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
I've only just become an owner of a little cockatiel, quite by accident, but that's another story. Since being on this forum I've stayed away from this species thread because it simply causes me to cry. At this point of my life, I guess my heart will never heal. I feel like I have to tell his story....please, I hope you don't mind...and I cry as I type.
His story...
It was 1965, I was a 7 year old little girl, I lived on a farm with lots of animals and 4 brothers and sisters. My oldest brother was 16, he had a job at drive-in, his boss had a yellow headed amazon parrot and he was getting a divorce, he wanted to get rid of this bird, he gave him to my brother. His name was Pedro. My brother brought him home in his cage, we all gathered around, we'd never seen anything like this before. His boss had told him to just let Pedro out of his cage and he would choose whomever he wanted. He did this, we all sat on the floor of our den and waited. I have to admit, I was a little bit scared of this bird, he looked mean to me. Slowly, Pedro made his way out in the middle of the room, soon he was coming toward me. My brother kept saying, "don't be afraid Susie, just let him come close to you". When he was standing beside me, my brother told me to put my arm down so he could climb on it, I did and he did, he went directly to my shoulder. And we fell in love. From that day forward, Pedro was my bird. What we knew about Pedro, he had some bone removed from his wings so he couldn't fly, that's it. We went to the library and found books to get an idea about what we should do for this bird, very little information. Pedro would bite and bring blood to almost everyone, only myself and an older sister could handle him. He talked a lot when he came to us, mostly cuss words, soon he started saying what he heard around our home. If I was at home, Pedro was out of his cage, he went where I went. We told each other secrets, we laughed, we cried, we were best friends. If I rode my bike, he was with me, if I rode my horse, he was with me, if I watched tv, he was with me. I always shared my food and he expected me to, he loved fresh veggies, he loved apples and oranges. When we would have to leave to go on vacation, he would have to stay with friends, I knew he wouldn't be allowed out of his cage, but they would feed and water him. I would miss him, I would worry about him and I couldn't wait to return home to him. We really knew so very little then. But this great love between us lasted for only 10 years.

The summer before my senior year in high school, I was working, I'd gotten up to get ready for work but took Pedro out of his cage for some time with him first. But something was wrong with him, he was acting very strange, he couldn't seem to even walk or sit on my shoulder. I called my mom and told her something was wrong, she watched him a minute and said she would take him to the vet. She called my older sister, she was married by this time, because she would need someone to handle him...she was making me go to work. I argued with her but lost, I did as I was told, when my sister arrived, I handed Pedro to her, I looked at her and said, "Laura, don't let anyone hurt him, please?". Later, about 3 hours, my mother and sister showed up at my work, Pedro was gone. My life has never been the same since, sounds crazy huh?

That's why I will seldom tell this story, no one can understand how I could possibly still mourn for Pedro. The vet told my mom Pedro had been poisoned, she didn't tell me this because she was afraid she had accidently done it. About six months later, she opened the plastic bag that his seed was in, you could smell the insecticide very strong. She went to the feed store where she had purchased his seed for many years and told them what had happened. They apologized and offered to replace Pedro, when she told me this I was shocked! They or no one else could ever replace my beloved Pedro. Many times, because of my feelings for Pedro, my mother has wished she would've made them buy me a new parrot, she believes it would've helped me to get over him. I don't think so. When this little cockatiel came into my life, I told my mother I had to get him a new cage. She said I could have Pedro's old cage, yes, she still has it but she also knows I refuse to even look at it, to be around it, I simply can not. I told her, no, I would get this little bird a cage of his own.

That's Pedro's story, I still miss him, I still love him and I'm 51 years old, I'm crazy, I know. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by a moderator:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Sue..I am crying reading your post. What a wonderful bond you had with Pedro all those years ago. I'm sure back then keeping captive parrots must have been so hard, so little information out there about proper care. How awfully sad but Sue Pedro knows you did nothing to harm him. These horrible accidents are so hard to understand. Maybe Pedro sent Boomer to you, to try and heal your heart. You will see Pedro again one day and you can be assured he is still right on your shoulder.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
No, in no way is that crazy! I am crying right along with you! That is so sad!:(
That is exactly how I feel about Sammy, I have the same kind of bond with Sammy now, as you did with Pedro! I am sorry that you still miss him, and I understand what you are going through.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, Pat! You are awesome! That is what I was trying to say, but I could not think of the words! Thank you!

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
:hug8:I don't know what to say. Pedro was so lucky to have you. As sad as it was loosing him like that you gave each other so much more during his life. You couldn't replace him and you don't have too because he's still in your heart. I see now why you're so worried about doing things exactly right with Boomer. I don't know what your beliefs are but maybe you should consider that Pedro helped you and Boomer find each other.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Thank you all so much, you know when I first came to the other forum for help with Boomer, you all assumed that I was a newbie to birds, in a way I was. I have avoided birds and people with birds ever since I lost Pedro, pretty much vowing never to love again. When I rescued Boomer, my plan was to find him a better home, possibly my daughter because the only pets they had were fish. I'm learning to care very deeply for this little bird now, and sometimes I feel guilty, as if I'm cheating or betraying the love I had for Pedro and it scares me. Renee, maybe you are right, maybe Pedro knows I need to keep loving, even another bird that needed someone to love him.
You are all sweet and kind and very patient, I appreciate it so much, thanks.:loveshower:

Lindsey

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lindsey
I love your story! It made me tear up...I had to hold strong...Im in a room w/ two boys...lol. your story was very heart-wrentching.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Your story was so sweet and sad!! Your bond with Pedro was such a gift to you both. Pedro knows that no bird could ever replace him, but I do honestly feel that he sent Boomer to you so you could rescue him as Pedro was rescued all those years ago. Believe it or not, there is enough love in your heart for new birdies who need your help. Such a loving heart is so rare in today's world, take care of it.

This is why I love this board so much. It's like all the best people with the biggest hearts all "live" here!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aww man, Im so sorry about Pedro. How terribly sad:( Can you imagine all the other birds that petstore killed by spraying insecticide in their foods? How very very sad :( Im so sorry for your loss.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I dont' think you are crazy at all. They have a way of capturing your heart. Thank you for sharing with us.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I've only just become an owner of a little cockatiel, quite by accident, but that's another story. Since being on this forum I've stayed away from this species thread because it simply causes me to cry. At this point of my life, I guess my heart will never heal. I feel like I have to tell his story....please, I hope you don't mind...and I cry as I type.
His story...
It was 1965, I was a 7 year old little girl, I lived on a farm with lots of animals and 4 brothers and sisters. My oldest brother was 16, he had a job at drive-in, his boss had a yellow headed amazon parrot and he was getting a divorce, he wanted to get rid of this bird, he gave him to my brother. His name was Pedro. My brother brought him home in his cage, we all gathered around, we'd never seen anything like this before. His boss had told him to just let Pedro out of his cage and he would choose whomever he wanted. He did this, we all sat on the floor of our den and waited. I have to admit, I was a little bit scared of this bird, he looked mean to me. Slowly, Pedro made his way out in the middle of the room, soon he was coming toward me. My brother kept saying, "don't be afraid Susie, just let him come close to you". When he was standing beside me, my brother told me to put my arm down so he could climb on it, I did and he did, he went directly to my shoulder. And we fell in love. From that day forward, Pedro was my bird. What we knew about Pedro, he had some bone removed from his wings so he couldn't fly, that's it. We went to the library and found books to get an idea about what we should do for this bird, very little information. Pedro would bite and bring blood to almost everyone, only myself and an older sister could handle him. He talked a lot when he came to us, mostly cuss words, soon he started saying what he heard around our home. If I was at home, Pedro was out of his cage, he went where I went. We told each other secrets, we laughed, we cried, we were best friends. If I rode my bike, he was with me, if I rode my horse, he was with me, if I watched tv, he was with me. I always shared my food and he expected me to, he loved fresh veggies, he loved apples and oranges. When we would have to leave to go on vacation, he would have to stay with friends, I knew he wouldn't be allowed out of his cage, but they would feed and water him. I would miss him, I would worry about him and I couldn't wait to return home to him. We really knew so very little then. But this great love between us lasted for only 10 years.

The summer before my senior year in high school, I was working, I'd gotten up to get ready for work but took Pedro out of his cage for some time with him first. But something was wrong with him, he was acting very strange, he couldn't seem to even walk or sit on my shoulder. I called my mom and told her something was wrong, she watched him a minute and said she would take him to the vet. She called my older sister, she was married by this time, because she would need someone to handle him...she was making me go to work. I argued with her but lost, I did as I was told, when my sister arrived, I handed Pedro to her, I looked at her and said, "Laura, don't let anyone hurt him, please?". Later, about 3 hours, my mother and sister showed up at my work, Pedro was gone. My life has never been the same since, sounds crazy huh?

That's why I will seldom tell this story, no one can understand how I could possibly still mourn for Pedro. The vet told my mom Pedro had been poisoned, she didn't tell me this because she was afraid she had accidently done it. About six months later, she opened the plastic bag that his seed was in, you could smell the insecticide very strong. She went to the feed store where she had purchased his seed for many years and told them what had happened. They apologized and offered to replace Pedro, when she told me this I was shocked! They or no one else could ever replace my beloved Pedro. Many times, because of my feelings for Pedro, my mother has wished she would've made them buy me a new parrot, she believes it would've helped me to get over him. I don't think so. When this little cockatiel came into my life, I told my mother I had to get him a new cage. She said I could have Pedro's old cage, yes, she still has it but she also knows I refuse to even look at it, to be around it, I simply can not. I told her, no, I would get this little bird a cage of his own.

That's Pedro's story, I still miss him, I still love him and I'm 51 years old, I'm crazy, I know. Thanks for listening.
Sue,

This made me cry. I'm so sorry. I don't think you are crazy either, I think you loved him deeply and it was a very painful loss. You should never feel bad about that. You have a right to your feelings for him. I'm glad you have Boomer now and that he has brought you back to the world of birds.

Vicki

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I shed huge tears...I am sure he is waiting for you when it is your turn to cross the rainbow bridge, your Pedro will be on the other side.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Sue, thank you for sharing yours and Pedro's story. Maybe this sharing will finally allow you to heal. I cried as I read your story, and I don't think you are crazy. You and Pedro had a wonderful, special relationship. He knew how much you loved him. I am very sorry for your loss.

I think Boomer was brought into your life for a reason. Bless you for opening your heart for another bird. Hugs!!!

Besta3

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jackie
Oh Sue, I feel your pain so much. My Paco died in August. He was 38. My daughter is only 23 and the two of us had the hardest time reconciling his death. We did with every bird. She had grown up from day 1 with a bird, so I wasn't very surprised when the class birds' started arriving for summer vaction. We both are crying. The parakeets lived from 17-20 years. This is a wonderful place for your story. People can't understand how much a bird owns us. I truly believe heaven is beautiful with so many gorgeous birds waiting for us.

Besta3

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jackie
I should mention that I have a 20-22yo Magna DYH that I've had for 9 days. I didn't think I would even get another bird, much less a parrot (because of my age) but Baby needed a home and is a rehab to boot. Everything they said, screamer and ill tempered, just hasn't been the case. Maybe because of Paco, my heart went out to this little girl. She has a big heart and I have total admiration for her spirit. She ruly is a lover and I don't know that I would be if I'd gone through what she has.

I think every bird teaches us to open our hearts. This is such a wonderful site. I feel almost like a member of a secret society. No one here would ever minimalize your pain and memories.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sue your story is so touching and so sad. You had such a deep bond with Pedro, it was obvious that it was one of those 'extra special" bonds so few ever get to know. Thank you for sharing his story with us - he will be remembered by many :hug8: I truly believe we will see them again someday.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
This story made me cry. It brought me back to when my Chian died. I never let myself fully attatch to another bird until now with Squeeky. He passed when I was 12 and I am 26 now and got Squeeky last year. My heart still aches for him. Sometimes when I am with Squeeky he will do little things that my Chian would do and it brings tears to my eyes.

RainFields

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sue
Miriam, that is sweet and your little Squeeky is a cutie. I'm learning to love this little tiel that sort of fell in my lap, so to speak, I think he's helping me a lot.

jylu97

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Liz
Wow, I don't think Tori (my YNA I've had for 20 years) and I could ever have such a close relationship. I am part of Tori's flock, but she thinks she thinks I'm her servant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.