• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

My parrottlet has a breathing issue......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooshi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
gail
Hello,

I'm new here and it was recommended that I post here by a friend on Lampwork Etc. So....first..hello everyone...here is my question..

I adopted a pet parrotlet named mooshi 4 months ago...I noticed that she seemed to breath very deeply...the ladyl that I adopted her from actually raised her from birth..and said she has always breath like that...she did have her checked out and nothing was found. I took her to my avian vet and she put her on Baytril for two weeks....along with an orgainic apple cider vinegar added to her water for 2 weeks... didn't seem to do too much. I took her to a 2nd avain vet about a week ago and she said she thought it could be a fungal infection...and she put her on traconazole...and we are waiting to see if there is any improvement..if there is, we will keep her on it for 30 days. (fyi...I do have her in a "hospital tank").

Your thoughts and reccomendations please...and thank you!!
:grouphug2:
gail

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Hey Gail, glad to see you here! I know the great peeps here at AA will be able to give you some ideas.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
What did you vet DO?

Did he do blood work and the full blood panel, and CBC? Did he do a throat and culture swab? What else did he do?

It could be a fungal issue in the lungs if the breeder used poor bedding like PINE or CEDAR. Can you find out what she uses as bedding inside the nest boxes and brooder? Can you ask more about the breeder setup?

It could also be a genetic defect, like heart condition, or dilating arteries and blood vessels, etc.

Your vet should be able to find the cause. But just putting your bird on some random antibiotic can be very harmful to your bird if they are not being treated for something! And randomly guessing what the bird's problem is is life threatening!

Is he fully flighted? Is he clipped? Is he Overweight?

What kind of DIET do you have him on?

I'd be VERY worried if my birds had breathing issues :(:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I don't have any advice but just wanted to welcome you to the Avenue. There should be some more experienced people popping in here soon

Gibbey07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Erin Gibbons
I will pray for your birdie and hope that the vet has figured it out this time.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hi and welcome. I am a little concerned that they are just throwing meds at you without trying to diagnose what is wrong. Can you tell us if they did any tests or xrays? You really need a proper diagnosis to be able to treat your bird correctly. Maybe if you can tell us the vets did for tests it will help. :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Hi and welcome :)

Mercedez brought up some excellent points they you would need to ask about.

The current medication that your bird is on sounds like he is treating for aspergillosis. You can also get a copy of your records for your bird from the vet to see what additional notes may be in the file. It is good to have all birds medical records so that if you ever have an emergency and have to go to another vet you have something to show them as to the birds past history and treatments.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Welcome! I hope the vet is able to find the actual cause of her breathing problem.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Welcome! know you are going to be able to get brilliant advice and help here so stick with us! Do so hope your birdie is getting the right treatment by now and showing some response to treatment. Good luck.:hug8:

Mooshi

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
gail
:kiss2: Wow....Thanks for all your information and well wishes!! And Debbie (piercesdesigns) Thank you so much for referring me to this awesome forum!!:yourock:

The first vet did a gram stain and found nothing...but put her on baytril..to see if it helped...I told the 2nd vet what the 1st vet did..and she recommended that we treat for a fungal infection based on Mooshi's symptoms. We will see if there is any improvement within a couple of weeks...if no improvement..we will go further with testing... She still seems very active and happy...but then again...we all know how birds hide their sicknesses.:shrug3:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Welcome to the Avenue - please keep us posted on her progress.

would love to see pics of your feather baby! :)

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
They should do a throat swab. Just checking poop isn't enough.

My birds have always shown clean poop when sick, but tested positive for bad bacteria on their swabs.

I hope he improves, and that you can find the cause!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I wouldnt do meds without a blood test to see if there is elevated White blood cells in the blood. If there is, you'll know it has some sort of infection, so antibiotics will be needed then. But a blood test can also determine if its a congenital birth defect... I wouldnt take meds without PROOF that I really needed them for a specific reason.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Hi Gail.

How is your p'let doing on the medicines?

Status
Not open for further replies.