• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My parrotlets

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
I live with my parents and I have to use my own money to pay for my birds. The thing is both, of my birds are sick, and they need more toys, a new cage, and more perches. Do you know any ways that I can make some cash for my birds? Right now I just need more money for the cage, perches, and toys. Still, the vet said to try a medicine and if that doesn't work, come back and they'll do a blood test. Since I have parrotlets, I will need two separate cages. Thx!

KonaBird

Strolling the yard
If your birds are sick, that should be your main priority. The other things can wait. Do you have enough money to buy the medicine and any other potential vet care they may need?

Unfortunately I’m not sure of any great way to make money, unless you‘re old enough to have a job. I’ve been trying to sell some of my old stuff on eBay, but I haven’t been very successful.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
R.J. I don't feel like I fully understand your situation to give proper advice. If you are a minor you can't share your age with us, which is safer for you too!

But depending on your age, are there any places you can get work? It is really difficult at the moment for many people with the COVID-19 so I am not sure many places are hiring, which makes it even more difficult for you at this moment. Even stocking at a grocery store could help with some of your expenses. I agree that their medical condition must be the first priority. You can always upgrade their cages and toys later. They need the medical care today.

Is there anyway you can make an arrangement with your parents for the immediate costs. Maybe create a list of all the costs and explain it to your parents, be very detailed. Maybe your parent can lend you some money and you can illustrate how you will pay them back. Or maybe from a grandparent ? If you are very clear about where the money is going and how important it is for your birds perhaps they will give you a loan.

I don't really know what other advice to offer, hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi there, can you give more information as to their illness? We can try to help you in the meantime perhaps. I love Parrotlets, they are generally pretty healthy little guys.

R.J.

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abigail (or Abbi)
The vet gave us meds but if they don't work, we'll have to go back and do a blood test. The vet couldn't detect anything weird in them but they've been sleeping and sneezing a lot and sometimes wet stuff comes out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What medicine did the vet give you? If you do a search on here there are ideas for making your own toys and perches. Ideas for making money right now are tough because of the virus. Normally I would suggest pet sitting or do yard work for people but not until the virus situation makes it safe again

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The vet gave us meds but if they don't work, we'll have to go back and do a blood test. The vet couldn't detect anything weird in them but they've been sleeping and sneezing a lot and sometimes wet stuff comes out.
The sneezing at times can be normal. Dust, debris can get into their tiny nares. A liquid sometimes can be sneezed out. Colorless and clear is okay, too wet with constant sneezing would suggest a possible infection, sinusitis.

How often do they have the chance to bathe? Or are they misted?

If they are not puffed up, that's a good sign. Puffed up, they aren't feeling well and are trying to retain their body temp.

A warm heating lamp nearby will help with this. Are they eating and popping okay?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have heard on the radio that some of the online stores are hiring (like Amazon), and I think grocery stores are hiring too due to the critical demand for supplies. Hope that helps.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I have heard on the radio that some of the online stores are hiring (like Amazon), and I think grocery stores are hiring too due to the critical demand for supplies. Hope that helps.
Yes, I heard Kroger and Dollar General are looking for help as is Walmart.