• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My parrot rescue

NKMAAF

Moving in
Real Name
Noura
hello, so where I come from pet shops are not very... well... they dont take good care of their animals. About a month ago I visited a pet shop and found an ring neck. He was kept in a cage with just a dowel perch and all he ate were sunflower seeds, I bought the bird, because I wanted to give him a better life. I later realized that the bird wasn't hatched or raised in captivity, he was hunted. They clipped his wings and sold him to me (and it is obvious). He is not friendly and extremely jumpy. I have a plan to let him fly with the other birds. Now you might disagree, but this specie of birds native to our environment and they are all around us (this is why he was hunted/captured). I don't want the bird to get used to humans, incase I do set him free. His wings are clipped in a very cruel way, they are uneven and very short, my heart aches when I see him. He is still unable to fly or even land safely on the ground when he jumps from a low area. I have been raising birds and parrots for almost 7-8 years, but I have never had to experience this. He is currently the only bird I own. What can I do to get him ready to fly? I am stuck. Please give me some advice.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor bird. Do you have any idea how old he is?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think the only thing you can do is wait until he grows new feathers in and then see how well he can fly....

@Mizzely ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yeah I don't think there really is much more you can do besides wait. Potentially you could pull the existing flight feathers to encourage new ones to grow, but it is painful, not guaranteed to work, and also can cause follicle damage would could prevent new feathers from growing back at all :(

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
When you say fly with the other birds that are native to your area, I hope you're not meaning to release him?
Just because he's jumpy and nervous, does not mean he is a wild caught.
Many breeders feed assembly line style, and the babies are as wild as a wild bird.
BUT! They can not survive on their own. They've had no parents to show them what to eat, and what is a danger in the outside world.
Please do not release this birds when his wings grow out.
Work with him.

NKMAAF

Moving in
Real Name
Noura
When you say fly with the other birds that are native to your area, I hope you're not meaning to release him?
Just because he's jumpy and nervous, does not mean he is a wild caught.
Many breeders feed assembly line style, and the babies are as wild as a wild bird.
BUT! They can not survive on their own. They've had no parents to show them what to eat, and what is a danger in the outside world.
Please do not release this birds when his wings grow out.
Work with him.
I was hesitant about it at first, but even the guy that sold him to me admitted that he was wild caught a couple weeks later. I really don't know what I should do actually, I am going to wait for his wings to grow back, and I am going to find an experienced vet to give me some advice too. The main reason why I wanted to release him is because I have realized especially early in the mornings I would see ring necks all around the house (I never saw them this close to ground before I got this bird), I don't know if they are communicating, but It does get pretty noisy. Basically everyone I knew told me it was a "sign" that I should release him but they know nothing about birds.
I am stuck and I am not sure what is best for him.

Last edited:

NKMAAF

Moving in
Real Name
Noura
Yeah I don't think there really is much more you can do besides wait. Potentially you could pull the existing flight feathers to encourage new ones to grow, but it is painful, not guaranteed to work, and also can cause follicle damage would could prevent new feathers from growing back at all :(
Thank you for the feedback, But I don't think I will pull his existing flight feathers, I feel so bad thinking about it :( and I don't want to risk it. I will wait for his wings to grow back, and if I were going to release him I am going to take him to the vet, and see if he is capable of surviving in the wild.