• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video My parrot is exhibiting agrressive behavior when on the cage floor

Tramziller

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Martin
Hello,
Me and by girfriend have aquaired a Derbyan Parakeet. She is about 8 years old, and have been treated badly in the past. She has not suffered from malnutrition, but she had been apparently loud, and previous owner had kept her alone in separate storage room in the house, commonly leaving her cage covered for days in order to quiet her. Anyway, we've rescued her and adopted her. She was quite OK, given what happened to her - no signs of aggression and PTSD. We've teached her to eat from our hands, and currently we are trying to teach her to step up.

Anyway, lately, she's been displaying some worrying behavior. She commonly climbs to the bottom of her cage and starts to dig and throw around pellets in one specific corner of her cage. While doing this, she displays what is in my opinion quite aggressive body language - she looks threatened, and lunges at us if she strays too close to me, or my girlfriend sitting next to cage. Also, she "attacks" objects that she encounters quite aggressively. I'm not sure what is causing this, and if she is trying to tell us something with this behavior. When she climbs back to her perch, she is not "angry" anymore, and calmly takes treats from hand.

My extensive google search has not found anything specific about this behavior. If anyone could help me understand this, I'll be very glad.

Also, I'm attaching video of this behavior to this post. If I did not include any critical information, feel free to point it out - I'll happily answer any questions.

Thank you,
Martin.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't have experience with Derbyan's but that's a hormonal, probably-nesty bird. Those pinning eyes are warning you not to mess with her nest site! Do you have a grate you can put in her cage to keep her from going to the very bottom and block her access to the stuff in the bottom of the cage?

Tramziller

Real Name
Martin
I don't have experience with Derbyan's but that's a hormonal, probably-nesty bird. Those pinning eyes are warning you not to mess with her nest site! Do you have a grate you can put in her cage to keep her from going to the very bottom and block her access to the stuff in the bottom of the cage?
No, unfortunately I don't have a grate or anything to block her access. Do you think she could be building something like a nest? What do you think is the best way to approach her, and somehow stop this behavior (if it's something I should be worrying about)

A.K

Sprinting down the street
No, unfortunately I don't have a grate or anything to block her access. Do you think she could be building something like a nest? What do you think is the best way to approach her, and somehow stop this behavior (if it's something I should be worrying about)
I think a grate is a good idea… Maybe a new cage is in order? Also, I may be wrong, but I only saw one perch in her cage, and no toys. Do you have a picture of the entire cage?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would get rid of the bedding material and get a cage with a grate. Sometimes I put cut up dowel perches on the bottom of one of my bird’s cage when she is being nesty. They roll around when she goes down there and steps on them. This makes her uncomfortable so she has no choice but to climb back up. Of course this only works with a grate or a more smooth bottom, like one covered in newspaper.

Tramziller

Real Name
Martin
I think a grate is a good idea… Maybe a new cage is in order? Also, I may be wrong, but I only saw one perch in her cage, and no toys. Do you have a picture of the entire cage?
Here you go :) she has got some toys, two perches, of which the blue one is the favourite, lots of stuff to chew on, and we frequently change toys and make her new ones. The smaller perch in the corner is secured with wire, and sometimes is quite yanky. I fixed this today, but I think she did not like it 8EA7982D-1F12-4C87-9C61-4EDD31D4B54F.jpeg B1B302B8-832A-420F-A18C-64AE153DD727.jpeg 43B86EFC-304F-4624-A001-ED7E39CF713E.jpeg

A.K

Sprinting down the street

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcome2: Martin! She is a lovely looking bird - how long have you had her?

Looks like nesty behaviour to me too. I'd replace all that stuff at the bottom of the cage with plain newspaper. Newspaper also makes it easier to see poop colour and consistancy so that you can keep an eye on her health. If you don't frequently change bedding material like that, damp areas (from poop, wet food items and water) can go mouldy which is dangerous for a parrot's delicate respiratory system.

Tramziller

Real Name
Martin
:welcome2: Martin! She is a lovely looking bird - how long have you had her?

Looks like nesty behaviour to me too. I'd replace all that stuff at the bottom of the cage with plain newspaper. Newspaper also makes it easier to see poop colour and consistancy so that you can keep an eye on her health. If you don't frequently change bedding material like that, damp areas (from poop, wet food items and water) can go mouldy which is dangerous for a parrot's delicate respiratory system.
I managed to get a grate, so I'll for now block access to cage floor. Also, we recently bought a bag of pellets for bedding, so transition to newspaper is in order just after we expend the pellets :)

We've had her for about two months now - so we're still learning the ropes, and learning how parrots communicate - I've got only experience with cats, dogs, and some livestock insofar :)