• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My parrot injured her tongue

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am trying to give her more vegetables but my family members give her bread behind my back. So I think that could be a cause bc too much carbs is not good for birds.
I don't think a little bread would be the cause. I often give my birds a bit of bread or rice or pasta.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
'bread' in itself wont hurt your bird- in facgt sometimes it can be quite a fun snack! . Everything in morderation- but bird nutritional requirements are unique- especiialy with a quacker- they live where I study and the majority of their wild diet is actually carbs- lol. Nothing but high carbs veggies and fruit most of the year unless they fall into breeding season.

Just like humans- birds can have allergic reactions.
I always use a balance of H1 and H2 to calm many allergies when a fungal infection is ruled out. For this, I use Moringa (you can brew it as a tea, and use it in the water). I started studying the effects of moringa on early dietary requirements for fids, and progressed to those with liver and allergy conditions.

It helps immensely- but do check with your vet. You know your bird the best. So trust your parental instincts- but also note: moms tend to get over protective ;)

Let us know what the vet says-

Rumo2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rumaisa
My birds diet was her usual bird store seeds and pellets. And we used to give potato chips, but I stopped that bc her poop wasn’t looking good. And bread and rice were usually given every day and I gave her fruits. In 2017 kiwi had caught something and was pooping black stool and had bubbles in her mouth and had to say at the vet for a week, So I get strict on what to give her. Sadly veggies aren’t given to her as much but I do try to give her. TODAY was the appointment at the vet. I showed them the video of the saliva and the cut. They said it will heal itself but she has low calcium and white blood cells.