• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My parakeets eggs

Anubis1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brian
Hi every one I have a ? My 2 parakeets had a couple eggs in not a good spot an how would I go about putting eggs in nest box for last 6 weeks been reading every I can an watch everything I could find did my homework on this an the one thing I never expected to happen an wondering if any one has any advice they could offer thanks an greatly appreciated for any advise any one could offer thanks again Anubis1

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you definitely have 1 male + 1 female? Many people are surprised to learn otherwise. If you post pictures, it'd help. BTW, we love pictures. :)

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parakeets have a really short incubation period. It's 17 - 20 days I think. If they laid them somewhere, your best bet is to just leave the eggs alone and let them either sit on them and hatch or abandon them when they realize they aren't fertile. If you want them to breed, give them a proper nest box. If you move the eggs into a nest box, the parents will most likely not follow the eggs into the box.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
in not a good spot
Where is ¨not a good spot¨? If it is on the cage floor they need to be moved. Even with the risk of the parents abandoning the eggs, they can´t be left to hatch down there. Put them in a nest box and hope the parents follow, if not, it wasn´t meant to be this, time.

Was the nest box in place before the birds started nesting and laying? IF not that could be where you went wrong. If it was there, check you have an appropriately sized box, that it is attached externally, and that there are nesting materials around for the birds to create their nests.

Another thing to look into is to be sure these birds are of breeding age, and not related. Small parrots like budgies can breed from very young, but it is recommended to wait a bit longer for them to mature properly first before allowing breeding, eggs laid in that time can be removed from the cage. Introduce the nest box once the birds hit ideal breeding age.

Anubis1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brian
The chewed a whole in corner of a 3inch tall by 12 love ng 6 inch wide box I had behind my TV an I didn't even see them up there until I seen blinkie come out an brought some straw in it from a basket my wife has out an I really don't want them back there with noise from TV they have free run at nite all ways go in there room with everything bird in it have 2 cockatiels females an then the 2 parakeets I took from a abusive home 3 months ago an have couple cages in there but never use them the room is a big bird jungle gym make pvc play perches an great product testers but I knew were young but didn't think old enough to breed so big surprise been 5 days today an I know there is 2 an see by morning be 3 an just not what was planning on but doing home work on it all had birds about 35 years so far with cockatiels an conures but if there's a risk of them abanding them will work around it I'm home every day so at least I'm home an watching any advise greatly appreciated

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would just remove all the eggs and the box.